Fish Pirates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish Pirates

News today reports that an outfit from North Carolina is coming up here to New York and catching carp from the Seneca River, putting the fish in tanks on trucks, and driving them alive back to North Carolina -- where they release them into private, "pay-to-fish" ponds.

The reporter is calling it a "dirty secret," but off the top of my head, I don't see a problem. Yes, there's the issue of spreading a fish-borne disease, but fish migrate from place to place all the time on their own. Plus we've got oodles of regulations concerning the transport of fish and game -- if there was a concern with carp, seems like it'd be on the books somehow, even if they're not classified as gamefish.

Hey, they're carp. You want 'em? Here, let me help you load the truck.

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
    News today reports that an outfit from North Carolina is coming up here to New York and catching carp from the Seneca River, putting the fish in tanks on trucks, and driving them alive back to North Carolina -- where they release them into private, "pay-to-fish" ponds.

The reporter is calling it a "dirty secret," but off the top of my head, I don't see a problem. Yes, there's the issue of spreading a fish-borne disease, but fish migrate from place to place all the time on their own. Plus we've got oodles of regulations concerning the transport of fish and game -- if there was a concern with carp, seems like it'd be on the books somehow, even if they're not classified as gamefish.

Hey, they're carp. You want 'em? Here, let me help you load the truck.
    It does appear to be a rather stupid idea, and why carp of all fish ? Maybe only because they can get them in this manner, the old inexpensive way. Or maybe they just figure no one will be concerned over the loss of a few carp !

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post

It does appear to be a rather stupid idea, and why carp of all fish ? Maybe only because they can get them in this manner, the old inexpensive way. Or maybe they just figure no one will be concerned over the loss of a few carp !
      There would be restrictions on transporting and stocking trout, bass, walleye, etc. in waters without approval, but since carp aren't classified as game fish, there aren't any regulations. Carp are about the only fish worth catching that they could do this with. "Worth catching" being open to interpretation, I guess. They are fighters, I'll give them that.

Comment

Are they just plain old carp, or could they possibly be grass eating carp? My nephew and I have a joint venture going with some grass carp in our favorite bass tank, and they are regulated. They are recorded by sale, and they have to be sterile fish.

Comment

Carp are highly prized by Asians and they pay big bucks for what they "want".

I recently watched a documentary about a group of guys who catch "HUGE" catfish. They are "catch and release" only.
          They noticed that there catch numbers were dropping. Fearing for the population, they started doing some research (investigating?).
          They soon discovered several different people running those "pay-per-catch" ponds.
          They were netting (hoop nets) catfish out of local lakes and streams to stock their pay ponds. It was "legal" where it was happening.

Comment

I had a hunch, googled “Seneca River Carp Tournament”. The news article popped up.

Sounded to me like the guy involved really isn’t a bad fella. The tournament folks are crying foul about the fishery but it seems like the money aspect of it is their main concern.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
              I had a hunch, googled “Seneca River Carp Tournament”. The news article popped up.

Sounded to me like the guy involved really isn’t a bad fella. The tournament folks are crying foul about the fishery but it seems like the money aspect of it is their main concern.
              A recent program of carp in SE Asia where they top 200lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

There would be restrictions on transporting and stocking trout, bass, walleye, etc. in waters without approval, but since carp aren't classified as game fish, there aren't any regulations. Carp are about the only fish worth catching that they could do this with. "Worth catching" being open to interpretation, I guess. They are fighters, I'll give them that.
                “Worth catching” !

Matt, I can very well understand your terminology in those words. As a ‘kid’ of my years 9-13 or so, I was a river rat at the ‘pond’ in my home town, a regular Tom Sawyer trying to catch carp. Dough balls, corn were the main enticement and I never went home without evidence of where I had spent the day. The evidence was not through success, but rather my mud encrusted self. But carp were the tarpon of game fish then and provided unbelieved excitement for a ‘river rat’ !

Comment

Not to familiar with NC. I’m guessing they already have carp in some of their waters but if they don’t it’s a good way to spread them there and just not private ponds. Just like the other farms that got flooded out and all the fish escaped. Honestly they shouldn’t even think about this or even do it. But if legal nothing you can do.

They seem they just wanna save money getting a free fish to me instead of paying for a good game fish to fish for. Then they just making money off of it. I sure wouldn’t support that.
                  Matt I’m with you on how fun they can be to catch some sure put up a good fight. Especially getting them on a fly rod.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad