Tournament Winnings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tournament Winnings

Ever win anything in a fishing tournament? Or enter tournaments at all?

I haven't and probably never will, but there's a nearby carp derby on the Seneca River not too far from me. The winners this year (3-man teams, $1000 entry fee per team) went home with $7850 for the biggest fish, a 36-pounder, and overall highest catch weight for their 10 biggest fish.

I've done some small ones. Won 3 times. One with a 20 in smallmouth. 50 bucks. One with a trout some lures and 25 bucks. Another with a 30 in carp 50 bucks. Glad I did cause I bought some really nice lures and other stuff I needed for fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
      I just ordered a few fishing items from Amazon. On the recommendation of a coworker, I'm going to try these. He gets good results with them fishing near Hattiesburg Mississippi.

Good luck. I've dabbled with plastic worms now and then, but being mainly on small rivers with smallies and walleye, do well enough with simpler lures that don't require much presentation or finesse but just casting out and reeling in (maybe some surface-twitching with floating Rapalas and other stickbaits -- though with those, too, I catch a lot with just straight retrieves).

I do like using bucktail jigs, hair jigs, whatever you call them. Sometimes I bounce them along the bottom or down a rock ledge, but mainly just retrieve them with a rhythmic rise-and-fall motion. Tipped with a chunk of crayfish tail, any brownish or yellowish jig does pretty well on the smallmouth, around here. Get a few brown trout that way, too.

Comment

When he was about nine I took the Kid to a youth tournament sponsored by a local club. He won a Plano tackle box, does that count?

PH; I’ve never tried ribbon tailed worms but they look like they’d work well on the drop. Years ago I did buy some YUM 2” curly tail grubs in a similar color scheme to those pictured, black with a pinkish purple tail, and they get hammered. I still have a couple packs but of course they’ve been discontinued.

Comment

There's a guy here in town who makes a good bit entering tournaments. Nicest guy, getting up there in years, never learned to read or write, won't get a full-time job anywhere since it would cut into his fishing time, though he 's always working a couple of part-time jobs for landscapers or as an overnight cleaner. Kind of like a less-bummish version of the steelhead bums Bill Heavey wrote about a few years ago. Actually kind of like Paula Smith, too, now that I think of it -- he's told me that he and his wife get a big part of their meals from fishing and hunting and don't buy too many groceries.
          Last edited by MattM37; 05-25-2021, 06:56 PM.

Comment

A buddy and me got a goat halfway into a burlap feed sack at a rodeo. The announcer gave us a dollar to split.
            I won fifty cents.
            Was supposed to meet a couple of buddies at a wild game dinner. None of them showed!
            I was the only dot in the crowd.
            What the heck! I'll just stay and enjoy. I DID see a couple of familiar faces.
            Won the door prize.
            A Ruger .177 "Air Hawk" pellet rifle.
            It wouldn't hit the side of a barn ... from the inside! LOL!

That's all I've ever "won"!

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
              I just ordered a few fishing items from Amazon. On the recommendation of a coworker, I'm going to try these. He gets good results with them fishing near Hattiesburg Mississippi.

I make my own plastics now before I never fished them but now I fish them all the time and have caught some nice fish on them including musky.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad