No announcement yet.

Spoons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My farm that I lived on for 40 years was 9 miles south of Pulaski. Way too crowded for me. I used to fish Lake Ontario in the early spring rowing
    in close to troll for browns and rainbows. If you saw a swirl a well timed cast with a spoon was often a hook up. I could never stand Pulaski crowds. I'd drive three thousand miles to avoid it, repeatedly.

Comment

I used to deer hunt around Redfield, thought about getting some land there but some friends had some so I really did not need any.
      Sometimes we would stop around Galloo Island and fish some on our way up to the river. Many times we made night trips as the buoy's were easy to spot and it seemed the Lake settled down a lot at night.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
        Do you spray your lures with WD-40?
        I've never tried WD-40 on lures jumbo. I will though as it would be easy if it works. I do collect and freeze bait fish though. I thaw them and rub lures in them. I kept diligent records over 17 years of Lake Michigan fishing for salmon and trout. My hookups improved by 300% with the bait scent on the lure. I didn't soak lures all the time... only when I wanted to catch fish.

Other factors in improved catch:
        1. Sharpening hooks (for fish with soft mouths, the hook sinks into the bone and they don't tear loose)

2. Testing knots (any large / fast moving fish will typically break a weak knot before they can be landed)
        Last edited by DakotaMan; 03-30-2021, 09:09 AM.

Comment

In the '80's I worked with a PhD Biochemist who had a technique to put different scent in artificial worms that would slow release. He would use shrimp different fish and others scent Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3104.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	769878 like frogs. They worked real good. I believe he sold his patented process to one of the big bait Companies.
          Wd-40 and sound waves work good, plus, WD-40 protects the lure from rust.
          My record for Walleye in Lake Erie is 40 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
            I've never tried WD-40 on lures jumbo. I will though as it would be easy if it works. I do collect and freeze bait fish though. I thaw them and rub lures in them. I kept diligent records over 17 years of Lake Michigan fishing for salmon and trout. My hookups improved by 300% with the bait scent on the lure. I didn't soak lures all the time... only when I wanted to catch fish.

Other factors in improved catch:
            1. Sharpening hooks (for fish with soft mouths, the hook sinks into the bone and they don't tear loose)

2. Testing knots (any large / fast moving fish will typically break a weak knot before they can be landed)
            I've occasionally set the minnow trap in the small stream in our woods and then made my own salted minnows ahead of trout season. They are way too pricey in the bait shop, and the ones in the packages at the big-box stores are always way past stale. (When you can't get a bait on your hook because it snaps in half like a potato chip, you need fresher bait.)

Wade-fishing the river for smallies, walleyes, and browns, I'll occasionally use live crayfish, or just the tails, and use the body part to crush and smear the innards and juice over tube jigs and bucktails.

Another scent possibility is the juice from cans of tuna and sardines.

Comment

Do you have a April 1 opening date ?

Forgot anything ? Like a fishing license.

For the spring Walleye in the tributaries to Lake Erie you have to wear your license in a plastic holder so the Warden can see it. The fish are so thick they bump into you.

Maumee River Fishing by the Dozens 🐟 ( PTXVI ) - Bing video
              Last edited by jhjimbo; 03-30-2021, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                Do you have a April 1 opening date ?

Forgot anything ? Like a fishing license.

For the spring Walleye in the tributaries to Lake Erie you have to wear your license in a plastic holder so the Warden can see it. The fish are so thick they bump into you.

Maumee River Fishing by the Dozens 🐟 ( PTXVI ) - Bing video
                April 1st for trout; first Saturday in May for walleye, pike, and pickerel; third Saturday in June for bass. Actually, though, many of our waters are now open for year-round trout and bass, artificials only, catch-and-release only. (I think the bass year-round is statewide, but not sure).

The walleyes I get from the local rivers, which are fairly small rivers, are generally 15-20 inches. Occasionally get some 22-23 inchers.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad