X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdo...isco-lake.html

Another Otisco Tiger Muskie.

Comment

Are they in all the Finger Lakes, I wonder? Guess I can look that up.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
        The Tigers hop the dam on Otisco and are caught regularly in Nine mile creek and Onondaga lake. Onondaga is connected to Seneca river so it's possible.I don't believe they're in Skaneatles because the dam at the creek.

I fish Oneida regularly and have never heard of any in there.

Comment

Tigers don’t spawn so they are mostly where they are stocked and can swim around. Check to see if they stock them. From the little I read doesn’t seem like they throw them in all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post

Tigers don’t spawn so they are mostly where they are stocked and can swim around. Check to see if they stock them. From the little I read doesn’t seem like they throw them in all of them.
            Dern, I knew that about the spawning and didn't think of it. Like Dan said, they manage to get around, though -- Danbo, speaking of J. M Kelly, again, I remember he had that story about catching the big tiger in one of those trout streams.

I might be wrong, but I think the South Otselic hatchery raises tigers for the state. Funny part is that they're right there on the Otselic, where trout are stocked, but don't raise any trout themselves.

Comment

Dern, I knew that about the spawning and didn't think of it. Like Dan said, they manage to get around, though -- Danbo, speaking of J. M Kelly, again, I remember he had that story about catching the big tiger in one of those trout streams.

I might be wrong, but I think the South Otselic hatchery raises tigers for the state. Funny part is that they're right there on the Otselic, where trout are stocked, but don't raise any trout themselves.
              Yes he caught them in Nine mile Creek.
              There are giant Brown trout in nine mile .A mutual friend of mine and Mike's caught a 27 inch brown last summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post

Yes he caught them in Nine mile Creek.
                There are giant Brown trout in nine mile .A mutual friend of mine and Mike's caught a 27 inch brown last summer.
                Yep, we're pretty well blessed with monster browns. Both East and West Branch of Tioughnioga have plenty of 20-plus inchers, I get a good number of 18-22 inchers from the Otselic every year. All the little cow-pasture cricks seem to hold more than their share, too. That's one of the best things ever, getting a monster brown from some little crick you can jump across.

Tell you what, those Otselic browns have the tastiest and reddest meat I've ever seen on any kind of trout -- not just pinkish, but deep red like salmon. I think it's all the crawdads they eat; there's so much rocky bottom in the Otselic I don't think I've ever cleaned a fish out there that didn't have crawdads in their bellies.

Comment

No wonder why them tigers are getting that big. Sounds like plenty of browns to go around.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad