X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Otisco

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdo...isco-lake.html

Otisco had big Walleyes years ago.

That's funny -- I almost posted that link yesterday. Guy I used to work with would catch the big tigers in Lake Como using 6-8 inch live suckers under a bobber the size of a softball.

Here's one on Como:
    https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdo...te_record.html
    Last edited by MattM37; 01-27-2021, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post
      Probably could not catch that big fish when the water is warmer.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Probably could not catch that big fish when the water is warmer.
        Actually, the one in the article I posted was caught in July and even bigger. What was your thinking about colder water? Not disputing you, just curious. It does seem like a disproportionate number of big ones are caught through the ice. Are they less wary, maybe, with the ice cover?

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

Actually, the one in the article I posted was caught in July and even bigger. What was your thinking about colder water? Not disputing you, just curious. It does seem like a disproportionate number of big ones are caught through the ice. Are they less wary, maybe, with the ice cover?
          usually their metabolism slows down

Comment

That's funny -- I almost posted that link yesterday. Guy I used to work with would catch the big tigers in Lake Como using 6-8 inch live suckers under a bobber the size of a softball.

Here's one on Como:
            https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdo...te_record.html
            Ice isn't thick enough for me yet around here.

Have you been out?

Comment

Ice isn't thick enough for me yet around here.

Have you been out?
              I don't ice fish. Years ago I went out now and then with a friend, on Dryden Lake and Glover Pond (also called Papish Pond or High Pond) out toward Willet, but it never really appealed to me much. Sometimes I think of it, but I'd just as soon go small-game hunting or just hiking in the snow. If we had some lakes with good trout or landlocked salmon ice-fishing, like up in the ADKs, I could probably get into it more. Freezing off my extremities for some sunnies and hammer-handle pickerel, not so much.

Comment

I don't ice fish. Years ago I went out now and then with a friend, on Dryden Lake and Glover Pond (also called Papish Pond or High Pond) out toward Willet, but it never really appealed to me much. Sometimes I think of it, but I'd just as soon go small-game hunting or just hiking in the snow. If we had some lakes with good trout or landlocked salmon ice-fishing, like up in the ADKs, I could probably get into it more. Freezing off my extremities for some sunnies and hammer-handle pickerel, not so much.
                I go after sunnies , crappies, perch and walleye.

You do know that Skaneatles and Otisco lake has year round trout fishing . Browns in Otisco. Skaneatles has rainbow, lake trout and landlocked salmon.

Worm and marshmallow rig works great for the bows on Skaneatles lake all winter long from shore.
                If north end freezes you can catch them through the ice.

How's the small game hunting this year?

Comment

https://www.lifeinthefingerlakes.com...-finger-lakes/

Here is an article about the marshmallow rig. The pier in town is a good spot.

Comment

I go after sunnies , crappies, perch and walleye.

You do know that Skaneatles and Otisco lake has year round trout fishing . Browns in Otisco. Skaneatles has rainbow, lake trout and landlocked salmon.

Worm and marshmallow rig works great for the bows on Skaneatles lake all winter long from shore.
                    If north end freezes you can catch them through the ice.

How's the small game hunting this year?
                    I've only been out a couple times for small game since deer season. Seems pretty barren out there, probably be more so after this week's cold. I wish Cortland/Chenango counties still had the snowshoe hares we used to have. At least to hear my older relatives tell it.

I did know about the Skaneateles shore-fishing, but appreciate the reminder -- much as I talk up this area for all the fishing and hunting opportunities, there's a lot of stuff I don't take advantage of, or do once or twice and then just go back to the same old stuff. Another example, I've been meaning to buy a canoe for ten years now and still haven't. Maybe since I'm almost 50 now, I'll have a proper mid-life crisis and get going with some new things.

Comment

I've only been out a couple times for small game since deer season. Seems pretty barren out there, probably be more so after this week's cold. I wish Cortland/Chenango counties still had the snowshoe hares we used to have. At least to hear my older relatives tell it.

I did know about the Skaneateles shore-fishing, but appreciate the reminder -- much as I talk up this area for all the fishing and hunting opportunities, there's a lot of stuff I don't take advantage of, or do once or twice and then just go back to the same old stuff. Another example, I've been meaning to buy a canoe for ten years now and still haven't. Maybe since I'm almost 50 now, I'll have a proper mid-life crisis and get going with some new things.

I told my wife I was having a mid life awareness, not crisis. Much more enjoyable that way, and you’ll skip the stupid mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

I told my wife I was having a mid life awareness, not crisis. Much more enjoyable that way, and you’ll skip the stupid mistakes.
                        But not having a wife, I could probably get away with the stupid mistakes

Comment

No ice fishing for me this weekend. I've been exposed to the Kung flu.

I feel fine and i am getting tested tonight.

Comment

Good luck.

Comment

Ditto what Matt said. Best to the family as well.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Trump Speech
                                by 99explorer
                                No. That was an applause line.
                                Plus another chance to repeat that he had won two elections , and might go for a third.
                                Today, 10:00 AM
                              • Trump Speech
                                by jhjimbo
                                Did you catch where Trump said he may even run for 'three' terms ? Is that a coded message ?...
                                Today, 07:51 AM
                              • Reply to 1971 movie The Pacific
                                by Danbo
                                What's that got do when it was made? It was made in 2010 not 1971...
                                Today, 08:39 AM
                              • 1971 movie The Pacific
                                by jhjimbo
                                Has anybody watched the entire movie ? I watched segment 8 through 10 the other day. John Basilone (sp) was really something. I did not care for all...
                                Yesterday, 02:19 PM
                              • Reply to 1971 movie The Pacific
                                by jhjimbo
                                You did not read my post. I said I watched segment 8,9 and10. The only thing I know of that is available in segments is the mini series....
                                Today, 08:32 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X