Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing

I need a spinning real that I can catch monsters with in both fresh and salt water. Something that will pull in anything from 80lb cats to 8ft sharks and everything inbetween. Whats yalls recommendations?

How much you willing to spend. That’s going to depend how well it’s made. Cabelas had a cheaper one that is really good that I have but don’t think cabelas still sell them. It was called salt striker. Your looking for something in class 8 or bigger. It also depends on your line what you using. You want something strong enough but doesn’t take up space so you don’t get spooled right away.

Comment

I'd suggest something like the Penn Spinfisher VI that holds 530 yards of 40 pound braid. You could go larger or smaller with that model depending on your comfort in casting a reel that size or depending on how you intend to use it. I have enjoyed my Penn reels for many years of solid big fish fishing in both salt and fresh water.

Neither of these fish are fast swimmers but they just keep going for a while and can take out a LOT of line before they get tired. An 8 foot shark can go 350 pounds and usually you just can't turn them till they tire. I've had catfish that size catch the current of a big river and haul out five hundred yards of line before they tired out.

Therefore, I'm comfortable fishing with 20-40 pound line most of the time in these situations as long as I've got a lot of it. I'd like to be able to spool at least 500 yards of 30-40 pound line, even if I have to use braided line to do it. That lets me cast well and troll when necessary. I've also gone down as low as 20 pounds for sharks when casting a heavy tarpon fly for them. The lighter line allows me to spool more line too so I can let them take a lot before they tire.

I have often gone to a surf casting reel for big catfish or bait fishing sharks so I could spool lots of 60 pound line and cast further with the heavy line. This helps most when catfish are in trashy river conditions and I may have to pull them out of underwater brush or where I might just hit a bigger shark.

Comment

I have but don’t think cabelas still sell them. It was called salt striker. Kodi nox
        Last edited by ADYLATYSA; 08-06-2020, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad