Ice safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice safety

Just want to throw out this small reminder for people ice fishing. I'v in the canals of lake St Clair was 5" +/- with this next week or 2 in the 40's.

3 days ago while on the phon behind my house, hit a bad spot and ended up going under the ice!!!

And I've been traversing the ice for 26 years,

Just remember to be carful out there during the best ice fishing time of the year

Last ice

Originally posted by The dick View Post
    Just want to throw out this small reminder for people ice fishing. I'v in the canals of lake St Clair was 5" +/- with this next week or 2 in the 40's.

3 days ago while on the phon behind my house, hit a bad spot and ended up going under the ice!!!

And I've been traversing the ice for 26 years,

Just remember to be carful out there during the best ice fishing time of the year

Last ice
    St Claire is bound to have quite a bit of current running through it which can also make for unexpected thin spots. On Lake Superior the current runs close to shore.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

St Claire is bound to have quite a bit of current running through it which can also make for unexpected thin spots. On Lake Superior the current runs close to shore.
      Yup, we got spots this year that haven't even frozen yet this year. Some spots the ice is sketchy. And other spots, I know of will be the last area with fishable ice. I'm going to keep chasing it, I can't not

Comment

Lots of currents in the Western Basin of Lake Erie around the Islands. I have never gone out without a guide. Conditions change by the day.

Comment

Originally posted by The dick View Post

Yup, we got spots this year that haven't even frozen yet this year. Some spots the ice is sketchy. And other spots, I know of will be the last area with fishable ice. I'm going to keep chasing it, I can't not
          I'm done ice fishing this year ,people and there machines are hitting rotten ice all over around here!
          Last edited by Danbo; 02-29-2020, 09:21 AM.

Comment

I never go out by myself. Should always have the right safety equipment. Even a life jacket.

Comment

Just remember to be carfu Tutuapp 9Apps ShowBox out there during the best ice fishing time of the year
              Last edited by ADYLATYSA; 05-14-2020, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
                I never go out by myself. Should always have the right safety equipment. Even a life jacket.
                I always carry a pair of hand made ice picks on a cord to use to get out of the water. Even on the snowmobiles - but those I never go where there are no previous tracks. And, always check with the locals on ice condition.

Comment

Thanks for the reminder! We all need to be careful during the fishing or hunting

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad