No announcement yet.

Charter boat fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a relative in Alaska who used to send us smoked salmon jerky-strips. That stuff was delicious. Really interesting texture, too -- tough and chewy, but soft and kind of greasy at the same time. Good satisfying food to have in your pack when you're out hunting.

Most of the salmon I've eaten out of Lake Ontario wasn't all that good. Seems like they've got kind of muddy flavor, the big kings anyway, and I find them mushier than trout. But then, I'm used to young brookies out of really cold streams. Probably cleaner water than Ontario, too.

Comment

Buckshott00:
      First off, I've tried that slimey garbage they sell you at WalMart for smoked salmon.
      I don't know where to tell you to find good smoked salmon, but don't use that crap.
      Next, be very cautious! Good smoked salmon is expensive and habit forming! LOL!
      Every time I go to Kodiak, I always put back $100 to buy smoked salmon from "Island Seafood" where they process our catch.
      A crisp Benjamin will get you about 5 or 5.5 pounds of really good salmon ... IF you get the coho. About 3 pounds if you buy king!

Smoked salmon dip:
      Again, personal preference!
      I never measure anything. I just "add to" until it tastes good.
      Crumble and debone smoke salmon.
      I prefer Kraft "Miracle Whip".
      Add to taste or until you reach the desired consistency. Remember, it's a "dip". I recommend a smooth, pasty texture. If it breaks the chips or crackers, add a little more mayo.
      Add to taste:
      finely chopped bell pepper
      finely chopped red onion
      black pepper to taste
      capers* (to me, salmon dip ain't salmon dip without the capers! LOL!)
      mix well and chill
      Serve with Fritos "Scoops", Ritz crackers or whatever "floats your boat".

This is a "basic" recipe! Add or subtract whatever you think you will like.

*capers are pickled flower buds and add a dillish, almost salty flavor.
      Last edited by FirstBubba; 03-11-2020, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
        Was planning a Salmon Charter in Lake MI. Found Some Decent rates might see about some spring Coho.
        I have been out of Saugatuck a few times and limited on king salmon.

You don't need a big boat to fish that area when the Lake is calm. There were trolling 300 or 400 yds off shore back and forth across the mouth of the river. Our boat ran out about 5mi.
        Last edited by jhjimbo; 03-11-2020, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Bubba, that sounds pretty good. I'm sure I would like it because I've eaten tuna prepped like that more times than I can count. I really like good Salmon sushi too. It might seem weird but instead of as a dip, you can put it between two pieces of toast as as sandwich.

Comment

Jimbo, used to love to go out there. I've been to most of the dunes. Even having been out there all those times, I never knew they did charters. I guess I thought people just put-out at all the marinas. It seems so obvious in hindsight, but I never even thought of it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Stevens 301 vs ATI NOMAD
              by fitch270
              Different gun, yours was the O/U, this one is a single shot. Different outsourcing....
              Today, 08:08 PM
            • Stevens 301 vs ATI NOMAD
              by Ghosty
              i want your advice on which shotgun i should buy which brand is better i was told stevens is made in china and ATI is made in the us in south carolina...
              Today, 08:30 AM
            • Reply to Prepping: No, not TP
              by fitch270
              Dewman: Sorry if this hit a little close to home, didn't mean to open any wounds.

OHH: Our appointment is with a very good lawyer for this...
              Today, 08:06 PM
            • Prepping: No, not TP
              by fitch270
              Sorry in advance for this, but I'm blaming the morbid sob's on here for the inspiration.

My wife and I scheduled an estate planning appointment...
              Today, 07:14 PM
            • Reply to Prepping: No, not TP
              by Ontario Honker Hunter
              One of my many former vocations was a law clerk, so yes I have taken care of my and my daughter's wills and power of attorney. You need to call a lawyer...
              Today, 07:49 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X