Safe ice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safe ice

That lake was open last week and there already on it ! Crazy ! The ice has to be thicker for me and my daughter. What are ice conditions in your area?https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdo...n-oneida-lake- 75-ice-shanties-spotted-off-sylvan-beach.html

Those pictures are from last year On oneida lake .

Comment

They say four inches around here is enough but not enough for me. One needs to be cautious about currents near shores in larger lakes and where water flows in and out. Currents stir up the bottom which produces food for bait species. But current also keeps the ice from forming as thick as rest of the lake. Ice fishing rivers can be very productive but it is also very dangerous! Last year in Minneapolis some kid drove his grandma out on Mississippi River to show her the spot where he caught all the fish the night before. They got a close up look at the ones he didn't catch. Both drowned.

Comment

Ontario what are ice conditions in your are? Nothing safe for me yet here and going to rain this weekend

Comment

My personal minimum is ten inches and even then I never really relax when I'm out there. I'm not timid but my mind does tend toward the worst-case scenario, and ice-fishing isn't something I really get into anyway. I'd rather be rabbit-hunting in the winter, when there are rabbits to hunt. Haven't been many these past few years.

Danbo, have you ever seen any snowshoe hares in the area? Before my time, my dad and brothers used to get a few up on Cuyler-Potter Hill.

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post
            Ontario what are ice conditions in your are? Nothing safe for me yet here and going to rain this weekend
            Gotta be at least sixteen inches by now. We were out three weeks ago and about a foot of ice on Superior then. Between the four of us we only caught eight perch. Seventy yards away in another shack three guys got their limits ... seventy-five perch. Oh well, I didn't want to spend the night cleaning the damned things anyway.

Incidentally, we have fished that place before when the auger wouldn't make it through the ice. Had to move around and look for a thinner spot. Four feet is a lot of ice! They sell extensions but like you, I'm not that wild about ice fishing in the first place. I would never invest in all the gear my soon-to-be son-in-law has for it. But I'll ride along if he's going out. He has a power auger. The only way to fly. I can't imagine the old timers hacking their way through 4' of ice with axes and spud bars. But the same guys also cut down trees with axes and buck saws for a living back then so I guess they were tuned up for the job.
            Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 01-24-2020, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Matt I need a foot of ice before I go. As far as snowshoe hare I’ve never seen them in that area. Doesn’t mean there not there I’m not looking for them however there are a lot of coyotes, there hell on rabbits and hare. I’ve seen a few fishers down there while bow hunting a few spots and as soon as I seen those I stopped seeing grouse. Matt try three rivers wma seems like good habitat there for cottontails.

Comment

Matt there a group called Adirondack snowshoe shooters Facebook they kill a lot of hares in northern adirondacks check them out.

Comment

Last time I went out it was around 6 in. Seem to be good enough for me. As of now don’t even now what ice conditions are there’s no ice in the river so I’m guessing ice is pretty thin right now if there is ice.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad