Muskie Country, Pumpkin Catapult

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muskie Country, Pumpkin Catapult

To follow up the recent conversation about the ballistics of various fruits and vegetables, here's something you ought to catch sometime if you're ever in the North Country:
    https://www.1000islands-clayton.com/...hunkinclayton/
    Video at the bottom of the webpage. Not sure if those guys wear the Viking helmets because there's any history of the Vikings on the St. Lawrence, or if it's just that flinging pumpkins with catapults is sort of a Viking thing to do. Whatever the case, it's a good time. Also some great muskie and walleye fishing there in the Clayton area. The state record walleye came from there last year and it's always been a big muskie town. They've got muskie statues and sculptures and who knows what-all.

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
    To follow up the recent conversation about the ballistics of various fruits and vegetables, here's something you ought to catch sometime if you're ever in the North Country:
    https://www.1000islands-clayton.com/...hunkinclayton/
    Video at the bottom of the webpage. Not sure if those guys wear the Viking helmets because there's any history of the Vikings on the St. Lawrence, or if it's just that flinging pumpkins with catapults is sort of a Viking thing to do. Whatever the case, it's a good time. Also some great muskie and walleye fishing there in the Clayton area. The state record walleye came from there last year and it's always been a big muskie town. They've got muskie statues and sculptures and who knows what-all.
    From a little past experience, punkins are the correct shape, come in various weights, are easily grown and though they make excellent pies, aren't good for much more than pies and "punkin chunkin"! ...and makin' jack-o-lanterns.
    One guy here grows about 40 acres every year. He contracts to sell to several stores around the area.
    Punkins are very prolific.
    He probably plows under 3 or 4 times what he sells. Most of those are too big, too small, oddly shaped or otherwise unsellable.
    He probably has a couple of tons of "chunkin' punkins"!

As for the fishing? Uhhmmm....I like catching fish!

Comment

Gotta love watching them chunking pumpkins lol. Some if those guys study those pumpkins to make sure they got the right weight and roundness to them. As for Muskie fishing I’ll stay in my own holes where I know I can get them. Click image for larger version  Name:	A15165D6-46C9-4296-8A79-CCD5DC9F6C12.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	780.1 KB ID:	717949

Comment

Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
        Gotta love watching them chunking pumpkins lol. Some if those guys study those pumpkins to make sure they got the right weight and roundness to them. As for Muskie fishing I’ll stay in my own holes where I know I can get them. Click image for larger version Name:	A15165D6-46C9-4296-8A79-CCD5DC9F6C12.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	780.1 KB ID:	717949
        Are muskies good eating?
        They resemble the gar fish of the slow sluggish streams of the south.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Are muskies good eating?
          They resemble the gar fish of the slow sluggish streams of the south.
          I've never eaten muskie. I know that killing one is frowned upon since they're so elusive ("The Fish of 10,000 Casts"). Their cousins pike and pickerel are very good, in my opinion.

Comment

Couldn’t tell ya if there good or not. I just c.p.r. Catch photo release. Some guys up here love them. They say they taste great. I would think a big fish would be fishy in taste.

Comment

Just curious. Thank you.
              Rough fish such as carp and gar, are often boiled, boned and made into patties like salmon and fried. Properly handled, they can be quite delicious, but a lot of work.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad