Fishing help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing help

Im new to fishing and was looking to buy a fishing rod. Im a bit confused about the lure weight and line weight. How can i tell whats the maximum weight of fish the rod will be able to handle before breaking

umar89, rods designed for freshwater use will handle a pretty good sized fish and are normally rated by "action".
    Light, medium and heavy.
    Just about any of them will handle 30 to 40 pound fish.
    I've caught 40 pound king salmon on heavy action rods.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
      umar89, rods designed for freshwater use will handle a pretty good sized fish and are normally rated by "action".
      Light, medium and heavy.
      Just about any of them will handle 30 to 40 pound fish.
      I've caught 40 pound king salmon on heavy action rods.
      so the medium - heavy rods will act as medium and heavy depending on the line you use but if i use a line which is lower it will cause the line to break. Also what does line weight mean

Comment

Line weight is "tensile strength".
        That is, 20 pound test line will hold twenty pounds. That means the line will withstand 20 pounds of machine stress and really doesn't have anything to do with the weight of the fish you want to catch.

Rod flex plus the drag on the reel tire a fish pretty quickly.
        You can regularly catch fish much larger than the test strength of the line.
        Catching 30 to 40 pound king salmon on 20 pound test line is not unusual.

What kind of fish are you expecting to catch?

Comment

Umar89, Bubba is correct in regards to line strength. With monofilament line it is rated in pounds,ie; 6-8-10 pounds etc. only in fly lines is it rated in weight and that is also matched to the rod. A rod that is indicated to be a certain weight, will require a line of same weight in order to achieve the optimum performance. But with spin or casting rods there is no such factor, only the strength of the mono, which will depend on the size of fish. In fly rods, the rod weight is not what it weighs on a scale, it only indicates the weight of fly line it uses. With the flex of a spinning rod, the line will withstand much more force than what poundage it is rated at due to the flexing of the rod.

Comment

Not sure what kind of fish those are?
            A medium action rod with a 12 to 14 pound test line will cover a wide variety of situations.

Comment

If you know what your doing then you can catch a large fish on light gear. That’s what the drag is for. I really wouldn’t worry about line weight to much for the size of the fish but would match the rod with line to lure weight if you going to throw out big lures or baits. Also you can get a heavier rod and use lighter line but I would never recommend using a lighter rod with heavier line.

Comment

Ah ok thanks guys. One more thing anyone got experience with kastking perigee ii or kastking royale legend? Which is better

Comment

Or Abu Garcia VENGEANCE II

Comment

Kastking is a new one to me they look like some nice outfits. Abu Garcia is a good brand name I have some reels from them. Just be sure to pair them with the same outfits a spinning rod is different from a bait casting rod.

Comment

Anybody know about the Berkley 'Glow Rod' ? Has 2 AAA batteries in handle with on off switch and the rod is suppose to give off a glow. Probably designed for shore fishing. Bought a spinning model at flea market for $15. What do you think of them ?

Comment

Maybe someone can shed some light on them, but I see absolutely no purpose for such a rod ! But then I am open for suggestions.......... !

Comment

It doesn't matter if you find a good spot to fish.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                            It doesn't matter if you find a good spot to fish.
                            I guess some laws are just meant to be broken !?!? I do not know if more people disobey a law means that it is stupid, or if more people are stupid. Maybe the determining factor is, if one is fishing off the bridge or not !!

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                              Anybody know about the Berkley 'Glow Rod' ? Has 2 AAA batteries in handle with on off switch and the rod is suppose to give off a glow. Probably designed for shore fishing. Bought a spinning model at flea market for $15. What do you think of them ?
                              Found a pic of them off the site. They go led lights in them.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	97641EF0-43F2-4B1A-A31A-A23E1B091A8C.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	716313

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad