Roe, roe, roe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roe, roe, roe

Do you ever eat the eggs from fish you catch? I was just watching a YouTube guy in Labrador catching big arctic char and frying up the eggs. Looked pretty darn good.

I tried perch eggs once. My dad says when he was young it was common for guys to eat the eggs from suckers hooked through the ice. They'd roll a cluster in seasoned flour and deep fry it. On an outing with the in-laws we tried the same with the perch. Pretty bland, but the eggs may not have been formed enough. Cold water suckers right before spring spawn probably would be better.

Comment

Spring sand bass fishing used to, and may still be, big in east Texas.
      Reportedly, the roe was a delicacy when properly handled, a horrible death if improperly handled.
      I never tried it. It was just way more trouble than it was worth.
      Here in Oklahoma, there is a big "paddlefish" fishery.
      I've never caught one, or care to. Game officers have a problem with people catching fish, harvesting the roe and tossing the fish.
      Processed paddlefish roe is supposedly equivalent to high quality caviar.

Comment

Never tried it myself the dogs love them. Usually just take the eggs and fish with them.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
          I tried perch eggs once. My dad says when he was young it was common for guys to eat the eggs from suckers hooked through the ice. They'd roll a cluster in seasoned flour and deep fry it. On an outing with the in-laws we tried the same with the perch. Pretty bland, but the eggs may not have been formed enough. Cold water suckers right before spring spawn probably would be better.
          Do you remember the cook-time, and were the eggs still soft after cooking? I did try pan-frying a mess of lake trout eggs once, after we got a couple big ones on Cayuga Lake, but they either popped like popcorn in the pan, or came out of the pan pretty hard. I figure I over-cooked them, being paranoid about parasites.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
            Spring sand bass fishing used to, and may still be, big in east Texas.
            Reportedly, the roe was a delicacy when properly handled, a horrible death if improperly handled.
            I never tried it. It was just way more trouble than it was worth.
            Here in Oklahoma, there is a big "paddlefish" fishery.
            I've never caught one, or care to. Game officers have a problem with people catching fish, harvesting the roe and tossing the fish.
            Processed paddlefish roe is supposedly equivalent to high quality caviar.
            It's like that fish -- blowfish or pufferfish? -- that can kill you if it isn't cooked right. Paralysis, then death -- how can any flavor on earth be worth that kind of risk?

I think I saw something about paddlefish poachers on Lone Star Law or one of those shows.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

Do you remember the cook-time, and were the eggs still soft after cooking? I did try pan-frying a mess of lake trout eggs once, after we got a couple big ones on Cayuga Lake, but they either popped like popcorn in the pan, or came out of the pan pretty hard. I figure I over-cooked them, being paranoid about parasites.
              I don’t, my FIL fixed them up. When he does the frying stuff comes out light, he doesn’t like stuff over crispy. Most of us prefer a bit over done to under. I should try another batch next year.

Comment

Here in WV we eat the eggs of yellow suckers and white suckers when they are coming up into the small streams to spawn. I always though they tasted very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post

Here in WV we eat the eggs of yellow suckers and white suckers when they are coming up into the small streams to spawn. I always though they tasted very good.
                  We used to get those sucker runs up the creeks in the spring here in NY, too, but they don't seem to happen so much anymore. Either that or you just don't hear about it because nobody's fishing for them anymore. I never notice any suckers on April 1st when trout season opens, but I don't know if that's the usual time for the sucker run, or if it's over by then.

I can't find it now in the book, but I know I've seen a regulation that prohibits any fishing at all in streams designated specifically as trout streams, outside of trout season. That could account for the demise of the springtime sucker fishing if the runs were typically earlier than April.

Comment

If it something like here they do close the trout streams in March for them to stock trout but suckers make there runs around that time some places are open still and you can hammer them when the steelhead run is kinda over. I remember one year there was so many in the creeks I would just snag them on every cast.

Comment

Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
                      If it something like here they do close the trout streams in March for them to stock trout but suckers make there runs around that time some places are open still and you can hammer them when the steelhead run is kinda over. I remember one year there was so many in the creeks I would just snag them on every cast.
                      If that is in fact one of our regulations (I still can't find the darn thing but I know it's in there somewhere), I think it might have actually been, in part at least, to prevent illegal springtime trout being taken by sucker fishermen. (Probably the other reason would be to keep fishermen away during fall spawning by brookies and browns.)

Here they don't do any trout stocking until April and May anyway. Lots of years they're out doing it right on Opening Day, April 1st.

Comment

There’s a lot of funny rules. Are trout close in March open back up middle of April for approved trout waters. Some stay open to year round fishing and they pretty much stock it to the last day to when it opens but you can catch them right off the truck just can’t keep any. Some creeks they stock but the signs for approved trout waters stop on the creeks and then you have to be 300yards away from the signs and can fish. Steelhead fishing never closes except for one or two days.
                        As for the spawning brook trout I don’t think they really care. They just care about there stocking program. That’s what I hear anyway. As for brook they do have some native creeks here to fly fishing only special regulations and its catch and release only. Then you have some special regulations with no live bait and the creeks never close. I’m probably missing others lol.
                        Last edited by Solitario Lupo; 08-16-2019, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

If that is in fact one of our regulations (I still can't find the darn thing but I know it's in there somewhere), I think it might have actually been, in part at least, to prevent illegal springtime trout being taken by sucker fishermen. (Probably the other reason would be to keep fishermen away during fall spawning by brookies and browns.)

Here they don't do any trout stocking until April and May anyway. Lots of years they're out doing it right on Opening Day, April 1st.
                          Maybe they changed that reg somewhere along the way. I believe there was also a similar reg that you couldn't bowfish water designated for trout either, but I'm not sure how strictly that was enforced. Don't think I'd try it down on the Beaverkill though 🤤

Comment

Maybe they changed that reg somewhere along the way. I believe there was also a similar reg that you couldn't bowfish water designated for trout either, but I'm not sure how strictly that was enforced. Don't think I'd try it down on the Beaverkill though 🤤
                            LOL on that one.

Comment

I tried perch eggs once. My dad says when he was young it was common for Tutuapp 9Apps ShowBox guys to eat the eggs from suckers hooked through the ice. They'd roll a cluster in seasoned flour and deep fry it. On an outing with the in-laws we tried the same with the perch. Pretty bland, but the eggs may not have been formed enough. Cold water suckers right before spring spawn probably would be better.
                              I was just watching a YouTube guy in Labrador catching big arctic char and frying up the eggs. Looked pretty darn good.
                              Last edited by ADYLATYSA; 09-06-2019, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Wanna be a NYC cop?
                                by FirstBubba
                                My eldest started life as a jailer.
                                Natural progression was CLEET, city cop, county deputy, state police.
                                "I'm tired of getting beat...
                                Today, 06:00 PM
                              • Wanna be a NYC cop?
                                by FirstBubba
                                How do large metro areas ever recruit new LEO's?

https://www.redstate.com/alexparker/...-career-crimin...
                                Today, 04:02 PM
                              • Reply to Racism ??
                                by jhjimbo
                                99, I think I saw something about a contest in an e-mail. Always creates a lot of interest....
                                Today, 05:57 PM
                              • Racism ??
                                by jhjimbo
                                Every other word on TV is racism. My take on racism is everybody is, to one degree or another, a racist. My empirical evidence is every where you look....
                                09-14-2019, 06:02 PM
                              • Reply to Racism ??
                                by jhjimbo
                                Reparation's for slaves but then a deduction for room and board they received. Also, reparation's to the ancestors of Union soldiers who fought for the...
                                Today, 05:50 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X