Hot, Hot, Hot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot, Hot, Hot

The Walleye fishing in Lake Erie is fantastic. West of Cleveland, past Lorain and on to Port Clinton. I have talked to guys that are getting limits of 5 to 8 pounders. Ohio State publications report record counts and predict fishing will be exceptional for years to come based on prior year hatches.

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    The Walleye fishing in Lake Erie is fantastic. West of Cleveland, past Lorain and on to Port Clinton. I have talked to guys that are getting limits of 5 to 8 pounders. Ohio State publications report record counts and predict fishing will be exceptional for years to come based on prior year hatches.
    I can bring potato salad and baked beans to your fish fry.....😋

Comment

Here in the vicinity of Skaneateles Lake, ("Skinny-Atlas"), one of the Finger Lakes, the NY DEC is up in arms about getting the walleyes out, fearing that they'll wipe out the rainbow trout and Atlantic Salmon. Their theory is that the walleyes were stocked illegally years ago. No reason to doubt that, though the lake is 16 miles long and likely connects at some point to a stream where they could have come in naturally.

I'm not a fisheries biologist but it seems like a 16-mile long, 300+ feet deep, coldwater lake could sustain its salmonid population even if there are walleyes around. What do you think? The lake also has lots of yellow perch, so there's plenty of feed for walleyes besides small trout and salmon.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

Here in the vicinity of Skaneateles Lake, ("Skinny-Atlas"), one of the Finger Lakes, the NY DEC is up in arms about getting the walleyes out, fearing that they'll wipe out the rainbow trout and Atlantic Salmon. Their theory is that the walleyes were stocked illegally years ago. No reason to doubt that, though the lake is 16 miles long and likely connects at some point to a stream where they could have come in naturally.

I'm not a fisheries biologist but it seems like a 16-mile long, 300+ feet deep, coldwater lake could sustain its salmonid population even if there are walleyes around. What do you think? The lake also has lots of yellow perch, so there's plenty of feed for walleyes besides small trout and salmon.
        Lake Erie has a lot of different fish including some salmon species, mostly in the Eastern deeper end. I would guess they feed on bait fish mostly. I don't see how you can eliminate walleye from your lake without killing the others. The survey in Erie is done by dragging a net in the same 2 hectors every year. Normal count is 80 to 90 fish. Last sample was 290 fish in the net. Fishing in Erie starts out in Western Basin, avg depth about 30'. as the water warms the bait fish move East along the Southern shore and the Walleye follow. They are a little West of Cleveland toward Vermillion right now, 25' of water. Drift casting catches them. They continue along South shore toward Buffalo and then turn North and go to Canada. They turn West and follow the Canadian shore back to the Western Basin where they winter and spawn in spring. I have not fished your lake, I was close to Canandaigua. I could be out of work and in less than an hour have my boat in the Lake. I also fished Seneca and the Lake Trout Derby.

Comment

A new record lake trout just came from Erie.

Comment

Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
            A new record lake trout just came from Erie.
            I talked to a guy in the marina working on his boat and he said he got 379 walleye last year. Sign by bait shop had GREAT for fishing report and about 4 different GPS coordinates of spots where people are catching fish.

Comment

I’ve been hearing a lot of people saying their on fire right now. Boats coming in full of eyes. If I had a bigger boat I’d be there.

Comment

I’ve been hearing a lot of people saying their on fire right now. Boats coming in full of eyes. If I had a bigger boat I’d be there.
                See if there is a head boat out of vermillion. Least expensive way to get on the water. Most guides have a license for a 6-pack. They will take out 3 or 4 people for a 1/2 day. Right now the fish are in close - good news because gas is $4.20 I just got some today.

Comment

I hear ya jimbo I looked into it one year just didn’t fit the budget maybe this year I can get a couple buddies to go. I also wanna do a salmon trip in Ontario think that would be a blast also.

Comment

I hear ya jimbo I looked into it one year just didn’t fit the budget maybe this year I can get a couple buddies to go. I also wanna do a salmon trip in Ontario think that would be a blast also.
                    I talked to a guy in the marina and he said last year he got 379 walleye.

Comment

I talked to a guy in the marina and he said last year he got 379 walleye.
                      That’s impressive. Wonder how he’s doing this year.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad