Walleye, Pike, Pickerel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walleye, Pike, Pickerel

Seasons open this Saturday. Walleyes have spread throughout one of my favorite little small rivers; last year I was catching 18-20 inchers even up near the source where it's basically just a riffly little creek. That's probably not so great for the trout population but I don't mind eating walleyes.

Three or four good crappie-pickerel ponds up that same valley. Anybody catching anything good lately?

State publications forecast walleye fishing in Lake Erie to be super great for the next several years. They drag a net over 2 hectors and count the fish. Normal to have 30 to 50 fish. They are counting 280 walleye. Anybody interested, go to Port Clinton, Ohio and go out on a head boat. Inexpensive way to get some good walleye action.

Comment

As I recall in the past few years, there has been strict advisories against eating fish from Lake Erie more than twice a month. And pregnant women not al all. If this has changed, maybe someone can update that situation !

Comment

Been catching a bunch of stuff right now fishing is at its best for about everything right now. As soon as it warms up here at the end of the month it will start to slow. Pike and Muskie are very active right now. Some lakes stay open to walleye and some waters close. Right now the ones that are open get a lot of pressure for walleye fishing right now.

Comment

I'm lucky to have the walleyes in the rivers, since I don't own a boat, and also since most guys around here don't think of rivers for walleye. I'm fairly close to a couple of lakes that are well-known for walleye. We don't have any great pike fishing in the area, but I actually like just shore-casting for pickerel, and once in a while I even keep a big one. They're not bad eating at all, especially ground up for patties with pickle and onion.

Comment

Not sure what a boat gotta do with it lol. I have one and barely use it cause every time I’m in it I never catch anything. Most of my fishing now is on bank since it’s cold enough the fish come closer making it very easy to catch some this time of year. I believe in water temps and if you can follow the temp then you can follow the runs. Next week I’ll be out for musky.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Obstruction Question !
              by bowhunter75richard
              Is anyone else being bothered with the ‘page 1of 1 (or such) and filter, being brought down into the comment section and not remaining in it’s upper...
              Today, 10:41 AM
            • Reply to Obstruction Question !
              by bowhunter75richard
              A rather perplexing issue isn’t SL ? After awhile you will start getting really heated up about it !! I kind of thought things were going along a...
              Today, 06:43 PM
            • Sealed Drags vs Cork
              by buckhunter
              Not sure I like the recent trend of sealed drags in fly reels. IMO nothing beats a quality cork drag. Quality cork is hard to find and sealed drags...
              Yesterday, 10:16 PM
            • Reply to Sealed Drags vs Cork
              by Solitario Lupo
              So many names for reels out you almost had me clueless on this but I understand that you like the cork washers for drags instead of a rubber washers....
              Today, 06:20 PM
            • Peripheral Vision
              by bowhunter75richard
              we all know that most wild life have amazing peripheral vision. But, how about we humans ? How do most of you equate your side vision when on stand or...
              Today, 07:39 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X