X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Abu Garcia collectors out there?

I've got three older Abu Garcia reels.
    A 5000, 5000C and 6000C.
    Seems I remember looking up the number on the reel foot and could get an approximate manufacture date.
    The 5000, I bought for my grampa before he passed away in 1973.
    The 6000C I bought for my dad for his b'day! No idea when, but he passed away in 1981.
    I bought the 5000C and have used it for years. Think I bought it in the early 70's.
    Where can I find information on the reel foot number?
    Last edited by FirstBubba; 03-27-2019, 04:50 PM.

I have a couple but do not consider myself a collector.

Comment

I don’t t really collect reels I do have some older ones myself. I’m more into collecting old time lures.

Comment

#1 Bubba- Starting at the top, I have a 9000 CL, a 7000 SSC3, 3 6000s, (2 with clickers), a 6000 C with a clicker, a 5000 C (no clicker), and 2 5000s that date back to 1971. Also a Mitchel 300 and two AbuMatics. All of the above except for the 7000 are Swedish made, but the 7000 seems to have been made in China. Doesn't affect its performance, so far.
        Don't know if that makes me a collector, or just someone who can't pass up garage sales and zero bids on E-bay. I just find that the Garcias are tough, castable, and only need maintenance about every three or four years, if washed off and lubed regularly. Didn't know that the little numbers on the reel feet were related to manufacture date, but will look into that. Other than a few Penns for salt water, a couple of Shimano Curados, and the Pfluger fly reels, Abu Garcia is what I mostly use.
        Last edited by crm3006; 03-29-2019, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
          #1 Bubba- Starting at the top, I have a 9000 CL, a 7000 SSC3, 3 6000s, (2 with clickers), a 6000 C with a clicker, a 5000 C (no clicker), and 2 5000s that date back to 1971. Also a Mitchel 300 and two AbuMatics. All of the above except for the 7000 are Swedish made, but the 7000 seems to have been made in China. Doesn't affect its performance, so far.
          Don't know if that makes me a collector, or just someone who can't pass up garage sales and zero bids on E-bay. I just find that the Garcias are tough, castable, and only need maintenance about every three or four years, if washed off and lubed regularly. Didn't know that the little numbers on the reel feet were related to manufacture date, but will look into that. Other than a few Penns for salt water, a couple of Shimano Curados, and the Pfluger fly reels, Abu Garcia is what I mostly use.
          LOL!
          Same reason I bought a 16 ga M12 Win for $100! Why not?

Was just hoping somebody may know how to read the numbers. Most interested in year of manufacture.

Comment

I am not a collector but I have a 308 and a 300 that I fish with that I bought in the 70's

Comment

Sarge, I used to fish with the Mitchell 300 and 308 reels back in the early 70’s and into the eighties. At that time serious fresh water fisherman used Mitchell’s. The quality and durability of the reels was apparent to me when the family that lived close to me when I was growing up used them and they were 10 or 15 years old . They still functioned flawlessly. It was a lesson to me in my early teens that you get what you pay for. Later my best friend in high school would fish the Octoraro and Susquehanna using the 300 for rock fish and the 308 for smallmouth. The Mitchell reels always will remind me of great times with a great friend. When I was growing up it was one of my two most used possessions the other was my baseball glove. All are in the attic somewhere !

Comment

Looking to buy a Abu 7700 if anyone has any information on where to find some

Comment

Check out eBay , there are several on there now!

Comment

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
                    Sarge, I used to fish with the Mitchell 300 and 308 reels back in the early 70’s and into the eighties. At that time serious fresh water fisherman used Mitchell’s. The quality and durability of the reels was apparent to me when the family that lived close to me when I was growing up used them and they were 10 or 15 years old . They still functioned flawlessly. It was a lesson to me in my early teens that you get what you pay for. Later my best friend in high school would fish the Octoraro and Susquehanna using the 300 for rock fish and the 308 for smallmouth. The Mitchell reels always will remind me of great times with a great friend. When I was growing up it was one of my two most used possessions the other was my baseball glove. All are in the attic somewhere !
                    I have the left hand version of the 300, can't remember the #. Made in France.

Comment

Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
                      I don’t t really collect reels I do have some older ones myself. I’m more into collecting old time lures.
                      A young couple had fishing gear at the flea market probably inherited. Tackle boxes full of wooden lures for two for a dollar. The gear they had looked like maybe from the '50's. I know there were probably collectors in the boxes but I am not a collector.

Comment

I would have been in my glory. Just looking at some of them are fun. Some can be worth a lot.

Comment

I also have both a 308 and 300 from the old days that I recently brought out of retirement and am using again. As I get older I no long judge the day's success by how many fish I landed. I take more pleasure in simpler things, like catching a few nice fish on a classic rod/reel combo and tackle. When I'm not fly fishing for trout I'm using my old 308 on a Fenwick fiberglass rod, most likely tossing an Acme Phoebe or one of the other classic lures still made in the US. These things are what bring pleasure to me at the end of the day. I find little of the modern equipment to to the job much better and are mostly marketed to separate you from your money rather than catch you more fish.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyGunz60 View Post
                            I also have both a 308 and 300 from the old days that I recently brought out of retirement and am using again. As I get older I no long judge the day's success by how many fish I landed. I take more pleasure in simpler things, like catching a few nice fish on a classic rod/reel combo and tackle. When I'm not fly fishing for trout I'm using my old 308 on a Fenwick fiberglass rod, most likely tossing an Acme Phoebe or one of the other classic lures still made in the US. These things are what bring pleasure to me at the end of the day. I find little of the modern equipment to to the job much better and are mostly marketed to separate you from your money rather than catch you more fish.
                            Agreed! I like using the older stuff.
                            Wish I had a bunch back that I let go due to youth and ignorance.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Do you use a walking stick?
                              by PigHunter
                              Do you use a walking stick when you hike? If so, what do you prefer? Is it something you've made or is it store-bought?

Do you use trekking...
                              07-18-2019, 12:33 PM
                            • Reply to Do you use a walking stick?
                              by Ontario Honker Hunter
                              Flagging tape holds a knot better than slippery paracord (which isn't saying much because that crap won't hold a knot worth beans). It's not as strong...
                              Today, 08:07 AM
                            • Hijacked tankers
                              by jhjimbo
                              Iran has 3 oil tankers (not ours) should we do anything ? What ? Be realistic, attacking the tankers would probably result in them being burned.
                              Yesterday, 05:50 PM
                            • Reply to Hijacked tankers
                              by FirstBubba
                              Let's not forget the chant, "Death to America!", burning American flags and presidential effigys.
                              Irans' burning desire to wipe Israel...
                              Today, 07:58 AM
                            • News Flash
                              by jhjimbo
                              anybody worth $15.00 an hour is probably already making $15.00 an hour.
                              Yesterday, 08:36 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X