Latest Taxidermy project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest Taxidermy project

Thought you guys might enjoy seeing my daughter's latest accomplishment. It's a rainbow trout on pedestal with business card holder attached. It will be front and center at upcoming show March 1. She's wrapping up a northern pike which should be very popular. And of course you guys already saw her smallmouth ... but she just shot primer all over it this morning. She wants to repaint it better! Can you believe that? It is important that showroom stuff is exceptional. The other local gal who's doing taxidermy is a real disaster and that may hurt the business (simply because my daughter is a gal and likely to be confused with this other female). No doubt the other woman will be at the show. Her stuff is awful and I'm not saying that because I'm prejudiced. The gal just finished up the provincial record burbot (ling cod) and it looks like a giant tadpole! Embarrassing. Look forward to your thoughts. Incidentally, no fish died in the process of this production.

Edit: And here's the smallmouth she just finished up. Actually, it's a repaint of the one she did earlier that I put up on here last year. She was not happy with the initial attempt. She's getting the hang of it. Working on prepping a moose cape for shoulder mount. It's been in the freezer since last fall. A nice rack. Those are not easy, especially for a beginner. It's the nose that's challenging. Any tips Richard?
    Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 02-26-2019, 07:20 PM.

Neat! I like the business card angle for a front desk/reception area. How big is the trout?

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
      Neat! I like the business card angle for a front desk/reception area. How big is the trout?
      It's a replica. About 3-4 lb size I imagine.

Comment

Since the fish is a reproduction, I can not comment on the taxidermy work as there is virtually none on repos. BWT being said, it is a very nice paint job, the colors being well blended together and with good depth perception. Did she use automotive lacquers or water based paints ? It is the nicest piece of work you have shown ! From what I have seen, she should build her business around fish painting, that is one of the harder aspects of good taxidermy work. However, when not using reproduction forms, the correct anitomical work in fish mounts is considerably more difficult to pull off. I would be interested in seeing more of her fish work in the future. I think that is where her future is if her painting continues to show such promise.
        Last edited by bowhunter75richard; 02-11-2019, 01:35 PM.

Comment

I’ve been looking around for a couple fish mounts. Been looking for steelhead in general. I’m very picky on the painting. What’s her price range for a 30in steelhead. The rainbow trout looks very well matched in color

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
            Since the fish is a reproduction, I can not comment on the taxidermy work as there is virtually none on repos. BWT being said, it is a very nice paint job, the colors being well blended together and with good depth perception. Did she use automotive lacquers or water based paints ? It is the nicest piece of work you have shown ! From what I have seen, she should build her business around fish painting, that is one of the harder aspects of good taxidermy work. However, when not using reproduction forms, the correct anitomical work in fish mounts is considerably more difficult to pull off. I would be interested in seeing more of her fish work in the future. I think that is where her future is if her painting continues to show such promise.
            She gets her reproductions in the assembly required versions so she has to put the fins on, eyes in, attach head, etc. The no-assembly repros are more difficult to paint and not possible to do anything creative. What's really made a difference with those is Dremel tool. Great little gizmos! Did you notice the teeth, Richard? She made those grow too! Unbelievable how that's done. When she first finished it up and proudly showed it off to me (while I was preparing the pedestal), my only comment was, "Where's his dentures?" "Do you think he really needs teeth?" I laughed. "Better go have a look at my old skin mount rainbow in the living room from 1982." Hmmph! "You're so PICKY!" All teary, she storms off to the workroom. About twenty minutes later she called me down: "Is that better?" Well yes, but how did you do that? And she added a few more fangs for my benefit. Pretty incredible. It always helps to have a second set of eyes to critique, especially if those eyes have looked at a couple thousand specimens before.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
              Richard, she uses quite a variety of artistic medium when painting: acrylic paints, sparkle powders, fine tip marker, chalk, even cheek blush!! Acrylic lacquer is used to seal the various layers. It's an amazing process.

Comment

I am aware of the process Honk. I was a taxidermist for almost 30 years and how I was able to distinquish her painting as being good. Unless people are quality knowledgeable, almost anything will look decent. That is one thing about taxidermy, only about 5% of people can depict good work. Some taxidermists are complemented for mediocre work and think they have arrived and do not make the strides to become better. When someone who knows quality gives a compliment, only then do you know when the dedication and extra work has paid off. Good fish work can be a very good business on it’s own if one wants to specalize in that form of the industry. I have seen some very good quality work by women, they seem to have the eye for exactness in details and their dedication is endless. Most people think of taxidermy as a job, they are wrong, it is an art, no different than a great painting when performed by a gifted person. I wish your daughter well, I hope she has the dedication needed to move ahead in this field I have much love for !
                Last edited by bowhunter75richard; 02-27-2019, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
                  I’ve been looking around for a couple fish mounts. Been looking for steelhead in general. I’m very picky on the painting. What’s her price range for a 30in steelhead. The rainbow trout looks very well matched in color
                  Right now she's charging $20 Canadian funds per inch + sales tax (can't get around that) & shipping. So in US funds that would be ... $600 Canadian + ($600 x 0.13 HST tax) = $678 Canadian = $508.50 US fund + shipping. She requires half down (to cover cost of ordering materials). Not sure if there is any duty taking it across the border to ship direct in US but if so, you'll have to take care of that as well. Or you can pay brokerage fees at your door if we ship it from here to US (customs brokers are a genuine rip-off though, so I wouldn't advise that route). We'll send a packing slip invoice with full details of shipping costs and a duty invoice if any. Right now she can't take credit card so if you decide to order something you'll have to make arrangements with her for payment. Possibly your bank has option of electronic global money transfers? That's the way I send money to family down there (and at my bank it's FREE). Means daughter would be giving up her bank account number to you but people do that every time they write a check anyway, so what's the big deal? Anyway, global money transfers are a one-way street. Safe enough. Or you can mail a bank draft or money order but those can sometimes take forever to clear. Personally, I am of the opinion that a bank draft or money order floating around in the mail is about the most risky way of moving money. Think about it and if you're interested, private message me and I'll give you her email and phone number.

I have to tell you, I don't think she'll be making any money at that rate, not at this time anyway. Once she gets the hang of it better and can work them up faster, maybe she'll do okay. Very good fish artists here charge $22-$25 per inch. She is definitely a very good artist but totally unknown so until she gets know better, she'll be at "apprentice" rate. One reason for lack of profitability is the time it's taking her to finish projects while she's still in the learning curve. She is VERY fussy and very customer conscientious. And, as you may have gleaned from other posts, her health is a problem too which cuts into her work time. Her new medicine arrived today and we'll pick it up tomorrow at courier. I hope it makes a difference. Poor girl is wiped out about 50% of the time now with migraines related to that damned genetic condition. Hope it doesn't kill her ... like it did her brother.
                  Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 02-11-2019, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
                    The business card angle was kind of an accident. Years ago I bought the plaque for some project that never got off the ground and it was thrown underneath the work bench still in blister wrap. Nice looking cherry wood. Somewhat wider that what she wanted but thought maybe we could make it work. When I peeled the shrink wrap off I was disappointed to see the wood had darkened ... except where the label had been located. I tried sanding everything uniform color out but that didn't work. Turns out the fish was too long to use the plaque as a wall hanger so we used the driftwood for pedestal instead. Then we had the idea of creating sandy bottom "habitat" for it with died stucco repair goop and pebbles. Not quite what we'd hoped for so we tossed that and I simply stained and finished the wood. Made it look great. When mounted up with the fish it was okay but the plaque was just a little too wide. Looked out of proportion to the fish. It was sitting on the desk in the trophy room and I pondered whether to simply order a newer slimmer one. Happened to glance over and noticed a small stack of her business cards. The light went on! The business card holder fills up that space nicely and everything looks proportional side to side, front to back. She was pleased with the idea and picked out the holder at the business supply store this afternoon. Stuck it on with Gorilla transparent sticky-back mounting tape which was perfect for clear acrylic card holder. If she ever decides to do something else with the fish/plaque, the card holder can be easily removed without leaving a mark.

Unfortunately, the pedestal idea came along late in the game so the back of the fish is not painted. She is already planning to do a brook trout pedestal about the same size and painted on both sides. One of those would be mega-expensive for a client though (I'm guess at least $30/inch?). But VERY cool! Something any lawyer would love to have on his desk! And they can afford it!
                    Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 02-11-2019, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Looks good OHH, her cards compliment the work she did. Stark white ones might take away from the colors of the fish.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

Right now she's charging $20 Canadian funds per inch + sales tax (can't get around that) & shipping. So in US funds that would be ... $600 Canadian + ($600 x 0.13 HST tax) = $678 Canadian = $508.50 US fund + shipping. She requires half down (to cover cost of ordering materials). Not sure if there is any duty taking it across the border to ship direct in US but if so, you'll have to take care of that as well. Or you can pay brokerage fees at your door if we ship it from here to US (customs brokers are a genuine rip-off though, so I wouldn't advise that route). We'll send a packing slip invoice with full details of shipping costs and a duty invoice if any. Right now she can't take credit card so if you decide to order something you'll have to make arrangements with her for payment. Possibly your bank has option of electronic global money transfers? That's the way I send money to family down there (and at my bank it's FREE). Means daughter would be giving up her bank account number to you but people do that every time they write a check anyway, so what's the big deal? Anyway, global money transfers are a one-way street. Safe enough. Or you can mail a bank draft or money order but those can sometimes take forever to clear. Personally, I am of the opinion that a bank draft or money order floating around in the mail is about the most risky way of moving money. Think about it and if you're interested, private message me and I'll give you her email and phone number.

I have to tell you, I don't think she'll be making any money at that rate, not at this time anyway. Once she gets the hang of it better and can work them up faster, maybe she'll do okay. Very good fish artists here charge $22-$25 per inch. She is definitely a very good artist but totally unknown so until she gets know better, she'll be at "apprentice" rate. One reason for lack of profitability is the time it's taking her to finish projects while she's still in the learning curve. She is VERY fussy and very customer conscientious. And, as you may have gleaned from other posts, her health is a problem too which cuts into her work time. Her new medicine arrived today and we'll pick it up tomorrow at courier. I hope it makes a difference. Poor girl is wiped out about 50% of the time now with migraines related to that damned genetic condition. Hope it doesn't kill her ... like it did her brother.
                        She should start looking into using PayPal that would be the safer way to go in that department. As for the mount when I get time I’ll send a pm.

Comment

Thats awesome, nice work

Comment

Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post

She should start looking into using PayPal that would be the safer way to go in that department. As for the mount when I get time I’ll send a pm.
                            I will check into PayPal. Didn't they have a serious security breach not long ago where a whole lot of client information was hijacked?

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

I will check into PayPal. Didn't they have a serious security breach not long ago where a whole lot of client information was hijacked?
                              My wife uses it daily honk, even her babysitter pays her with it. No issues.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Are You Ready For This ?
                                by PigHunter
                                Maybe they are trying to create the ultimate soldier...
                                Today, 09:01 AM
                              • Are You Ready For This ?
                                by jhjimbo
                                An American Scientist financed by Spain has gone to China to create an ape-human by combining a human embryo with a primate. I don't know why he had...
                                Yesterday, 09:32 PM
                              • Reply to Increasing Security
                                by PigHunter
                                Jimbo, here's the 12 leading causes of death in the USA. Carrying that gun may make you feel better but you'll more likely increase your chances for living...
                                Today, 08:52 AM
                              • Increasing Security
                                by jhjimbo
                                I have been carrying more lately, much more aware of the surroundings, especially in large, crowded places. I do go to a few Flea Markets that usually...
                                08-14-2019, 05:41 AM
                              • Reply to Increasing Security
                                by jhjimbo
                                Why was he cremated before an autopsy ?? Very disturbing....
                                Today, 08:49 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X