Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody here ever come close to a state-record fish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody here ever come close to a state-record fish?

I actually caught my state's record black crappie, heavier than the record by a good five or six ounces if my scales were correct. Too bad I didn't realize this until a month after I'd eaten the damn thing. Anyway, records notwithstanding, what have been some of your most impressive catches?

Who knows. Here you gotta kill a fish to get it. I've caught some big heavy fish in my days but when they get that big I gotta release them. From what I read crappie have a slow growth rate so a big crappie been in there for years.

Comment

Not sure, but I have a fish story.
      One of the couple of times I've gone ice fishing we went to Peck's Pond in NE PA. Ice fishing isn't real big around here because maybe 1 in 5 or so winters it's even possible. The PA fish museum happens to be on the lake. It's a nice enough little place, more tourist trap than museum, but they have a diner/counter inside. Our second fish of the day was a pickerel of a size that I had to get arm down into the hole to line it up just right in order for it to fit through and its head took up every bit of that 6" hole. Fish was old and it's body was clearly a little underweight for size but was still the biggest chain pickerel I've ever seen. Long day, couple of pickerel and panfish, pickerel were released including that old timer.
      Drove around the lake to the museum after we'd packed up just to get some hot food and coffee in us. Never been there before. On the wall was the current state record pickerel. It was clearly a smaller fish than what we'd had in hand earlier that day (and this being like 15 or 20 years ago, neither of us had a camera). Looked at my buddy "You thinking what I'm thinking?" "Yeah.. there's a certified scale here, might have been worth bringing that fish in."
      "I think so too, even looking slightly emaciated, I'm betting he was a half pound heavier than that." We were both kind of glad we didn't. Instead the old timer got a free meal and maybe some kid snagged him or he sired another generation of potential leviathan's the next spring.

Comment

Years ago in Illinois I caught what was probably the state record muskie. However, at least at the time, you had to kill the fish to claim the record. While the fish was over the weight of the record, it was just under the minimum length for the lake I was fishing. Back into the deep he went.

Comment

Ohio has 'Fish Ohio' awards for large fish but not record. For walleye it is 10lbs and I have caught, and released several of them.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
            Not sure, but I have a fish story.
            One of the couple of times I've gone ice fishing we went to Peck's Pond in NE PA. Ice fishing isn't real big around here because maybe 1 in 5 or so winters it's even possible. The PA fish museum happens to be on the lake. It's a nice enough little place, more tourist trap than museum, but they have a diner/counter inside. Our second fish of the day was a pickerel of a size that I had to get arm down into the hole to line it up just right in order for it to fit through and its head took up every bit of that 6" hole. Fish was old and it's body was clearly a little underweight for size but was still the biggest chain pickerel I've ever seen. Long day, couple of pickerel and panfish, pickerel were released including that old timer.
            Drove around the lake to the museum after we'd packed up just to get some hot food and coffee in us. Never been there before. On the wall was the current state record pickerel. It was clearly a smaller fish than what we'd had in hand earlier that day (and this being like 15 or 20 years ago, neither of us had a camera). Looked at my buddy "You thinking what I'm thinking?" "Yeah.. there's a certified scale here, might have been worth bringing that fish in."
            "I think so too, even looking slightly emaciated, I'm betting he was a half pound heavier than that." We were both kind of glad we didn't. Instead the old timer got a free meal and maybe some kid snagged him or he sired another generation of potential leviathan's the next spring.
            Nice. I didn't regret the crappie, either (much) I'd never caught very many before, and I knew it was a whopper, but never really thought about the record. I just figured it was like a 6-7 lb. largemouth or a 22-23 inch brown.

Comment

Not yet, but maybe someday.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Henry View Post
                Don't even want to think about the taxidermy bill on that one!

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                  Ohio has 'Fish Ohio' awards for large fish but not record. For walleye it is 10lbs and I have caught, and released several of them.
                  NY has something like that, too. Angler Achievement Awards, I think they call them. I will have to look up the guidelines.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry View Post
                    Henry you must be strong to hold that fish with one hand like that.

Comment

I caught a state record King salmon in Wisconsin back in the 70's. They were having a big tournament and had a weigh station so I stopped by and had it weighed just to check the size. The poor guy leading the 2000 boat tournament just turned white and sat down before he fainted. My fish was 15 pounds heavier than his fish.

Since I got tired of waiting in the registration line at 4:00 AM, I wasn't in the tournament and he won a boat/motor and pick up truck. The sponsors of the tournament gave me a trolling motor as a remembrance anyway. I never registered it but I do have a picture of it.

Comment

Oh... I forgot a world record that I was close to. My buddy nailed what was likely a world record Northern Pike from a canoe. We had to beat 42 pound 8 ounces and his did that for sure.

We were fishing northern Manitoba for world record northerns. We caught hundreds of really big fish. He had been yelling "Get the gaff, this is a world record!" every hour for three days but none of them came within 5 pounds of the record. I was getting tired of him crying wolf.

On about our third day, he shouted out again but I had a really nice fish on myself. I was holding my rod tip high, playing my 30 pound northern in my left had and held the gaff in my right. I told him I was going to gaff this one and he better eat the whole fisht before it rotted because we had no refrigeration.

As the fish slid out from under the canoe, I gaffed it under the gills and lifted it. It was way bigger than I expected so I stood up in the canoe and tried to throw it in the canoe. I had its head five feet above the water but its tail was still well below the water line and it went ape. It started flapping and spinning and the canoe started to tip. I went down on my back to keep the canoe upright and the fish flopped over me and out the other side of the canoe. It was a BIG fish alright and easily went over 50 pounds. I released the gaff to keep the canoe upright and to save my rod. The fish ran and porpoised for 200 yards and finally threw the gaff at about 250 yards. It finally spooled my friend. The snapping line sounded like a 12 gauge going off and yes, I would say I was close to a world record on that one. Close enough to have fish slime from my feet to my chin. Probably not one of my best gaffing efforts but it should teach us all about the risks of crying "wolf".

Comment

I've caught several memorable fish but no, none that challenged any record. Have had a great time trying anyway.

Comment

I caught a really big White Perch in lake Champlain, once. I've always been curious about that one...

Comment

I was seven years old, fishing from the dock with my brother. We had caught several small sunfish, and a few medium bass, but nothing spectacular. While watching my worm wiggle on the hook, I saw a shadow dart under the dock. I dropped my bobber into the water, gave it a twitch, and waited. Within a minute, I saw the snout of a fish approaching my hook. I lifted the bait an inch or so, and before my eyes, a gaping maw consumed my hook. I yanked the rod, and the fish rolled, but didn’t fight. With great effort (not really), I lipped him underwater, and pulled him out for the world to see. What a sight. This thing was so old it was gray, and had wrinkles! It wasn’t heavy (4lbs) but it was 23.5” long. By far my biggest bass. And in the picture, it dwarfs my 7yo self.

As for records? Nope, none yet, but I have lots of memorable "big" fish. They are mostly memorable due to the circumstances surrounding their catch, though, not the fish itself. I remember one time... Just kidding, maybe another day-it's time for me to get some shut-eye.
                              Attached Files
                              -SSSOutdoorsman

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to "A little rebellion...."
                                by Milldawg
                                Ok well time for an adult response. If we allow all of rights to be slow taken from us with no push back of any kind we will wake up one and be slaves...
                                Today, 06:17 PM
                              • "A little rebellion...."
                                by FirstBubba
                                ...now and then is a good thing!"

This ought set off Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Stupid! LOL!
                                --------‐‐-------------------------------...
                                08-13-2022, 12:45 PM
                              • Reply to The Culture of Lying
                                by Pmacc60
                                I agree and worse to talk stupid and have no repercussion . The more uneducated and ridiculous statement , the bigger press !...
                                Today, 06:09 PM
                              • The Culture of Lying
                                by jhjimbo
                                The culture of lying is epidemic in Washington, D.C. and the rest of the Country. How did this get started? Was it Richard Nixon ? The crooked main...
                                Today, 08:16 AM
                              • Reply to "A little rebellion...."
                                by labrador12
                                The NY Post's daily article on Hunter and Hunter's dad's treasonous business dealings with assorted international thugs is interesting. The piece brings...
                                Today, 06:05 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X