Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is everyone's thoughts on keeping your catch in an aquarium until ready to eat. I love eating fish but do not always have time to fish or eat my possession limit in one day. So I want to keep it fresh until I'm ready for it. I have always had aq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is everyone's thoughts on keeping your catch in an aquarium until ready to eat. I love eating fish but do not always have time to fish or eat my possession limit in one day. So I want to keep it fresh until I'm ready for it. I have always had aq

What is everyone's thoughts on keeping your catch in an aquarium until ready to eat. I love eating fish but do not always have time to fish or eat my possession limit in one day. So I want to keep it fresh until I'm ready for it. I have always had aquariums and know how to set it up correctly, so keeping them alive isn't a concern.

In some states it may not be legal because any fish caught must be dispatched. Also there may be some aquarium issues with bacteria and fungus so you could possibly run into health issues. Check your state regulations and a quick call to your states health department might not be a bad idea. If freshness is a must look into a food processing equipment it may solve all your problems in this regard.

Comment

There was an older man back home who fished exclusively for yellow (mud) catfish. Nasty tasting!
      He kept his catch in a big metal stock watering tank with an aerator for a week or so before slaughtering them, changing the water ever 2 or 3 days.
      He said after that, there was no "muddy" taste.
      May be worth it.

Comment

I've never done it because I never had to. I typically eat fish that taste great right out of the ocean, river or lake. For example, I eat 2-4 pound channel catfish and release mud cats and big fatty catfish because they taste a bit like sewage to me and don't get better when you freeze them. I eat what I can fresh but pack the remaining fillets in water and freeze. They seem to taste as fresh to me a month later.

Comment

Keeping trout in an aquarium requires more than just an aerator. It's complicated for them. In some places the law requires that you dispatch fish immediately. Better check on that.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
            There was an older man back home who fished exclusively for yellow (mud) catfish. Nasty tasting!
            He kept his catch in a big metal stock watering tank with an aerator for a week or so before slaughtering them, changing the water ever 2 or 3 days.
            He said after that, there was no "muddy" taste.
            May be worth it.
            People also keep turtles in a tank until they poop and then butcher them.

Comment

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
              In some states it may not be legal because any fish caught must be dispatched. Also there may be some aquarium issues with bacteria and fungus so you could possibly run into health issues. Check your state regulations and a quick call to your states health department might not be a bad idea. If freshness is a must look into a food processing equipment it may solve all your problems in this regard.
              Freeze fillets submerged in water and I have had them over a year old and they were perfect.

Comment

You'll probably want something a little bigger than a regular aquarium. Check this out.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-a-vertical-aquaponic-veggie-fish-farm-for-/

We did something like this when I was in High School. We raised Rainbow Trout, and Bluegill. The Trout were the hardest to raise. You'll need a decent sized pump and want to monitor the chemical composition of the water regularly. At the end of the year had an awesome fish fry.

Comment

Check the regulations on your state, in Minnesota we can keep fish as aquarium, I would have a giant fish tank, put a bunch of diffrent species in the tank, feed them minnows twice a day, then once they get big enough, and mabye they just spawned, capture them with a net, and into the fryer

Comment

I have put bait fish like minnows and shiners in a aquarium with a water filter the night before a fishing day trip. Those little guys are tough as nails on the water temperature. Trout would need much colder temps.

How big is your aquarium and what kind of fish are you talking about?

Comment

Old 1 gallon ice cream jug cover fillets in water and freeze until full then have a big fry.

Comment

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
                        A friend does that too, he tells me the same thing.

Comment

I worked for a rancher back when I was a kid, the guy loved bullhead and he would send us out to catch these and put them in a stock tank near the ranch house and his wife would go net a few when he got the hankering for fresh fish. It was a big tank and was fed by a natural spring which meant the water was nice and cool. I have also seen one of our local Asian markets with lots of aquarium's filled with all different sorts of swimming creatures.

Comment

It will be really hard to do. They need a lot of oxygen and a good amount of water flow. Like someone said if it's trout you would have to regulate the temp. The only thing I've had live in a tank for years was a catfish. Even bluegills need the right amount of oxygen or they will die. When I catch my baitfish (creek chubs) I stick them in a 10 gal aquarium with about 3 aerators on them and a 20 gal pump for flow even then some die.

Comment

As others have mentioned, you need to check your state regs.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad