Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When bass fishing, what do you typically catch when you get the wrong species?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When bass fishing, what do you typically catch when you get the wrong species?

When bass fishing, what do you typically catch when you get the wrong species?

I get lots of big pike and the occasional panfish. No pike under 15 inches normally. When they say rapalla jerkbaits are for all species they aren't lying. I once had a top water hit from a 3 foot dogfish, but it missed the lure.

Comment

Warmouth bass (locally called goggle-eye) and bowfin or grinnel.

Comment

If youre targeting bass here in south la by catches are kinda rare. I have caught sac-au-lait (crappie) and several choupique (bowfin) though. The most unusual the ive caught while fishing for bass was a chain pickerel. It was strange because I didnt think they lived this far south.

Comment

Pickerel. Lots of pickerel.

Comment

Pike and Bowfin.

Comment

Crappie, because my go to lure in the ponds I fish is an inline spinner (rooster tail).

Comment

When fishing for striped bass I sometimes catch bluefish and I've also caught sand sharks. On the other hand when I'm trolling for salmon and trout we almost always catch bass.

Comment

It depends on what else is in the lake. In the north I typically catch northern pike and walleyes. In the south I typically catch striped bass or alligators.

Comment

In the New River (VA) I catch rock bass, bluegill, and even musky when smallmouth fishing.

In the creeks in MD, I have caught fall fish, rainbows, sunfish, bluegill, brook trout, chubs, and suckers when fishing for smallies and speckled bass.

In the MD ponds, I have caught bluegills, crappie, and even catfish when fishing for large mouths.

It all depends on the body of water, region of the country, time of year, etc. and how hungry the fish are that day.

Comment

In Florida I have gotten everything from tilapia to catfish and even a bowfin.

Comment

normally bream or crappie in the farm ponds where we fish.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad