Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will a ripped out hook holder compromise the strength of the rod? There is a hole in the rod where the hook holder was.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a ripped out hook holder compromise the strength of the rod? There is a hole in the rod where the hook holder was.

Will a ripped out hook holder compromise the strength of the rod? There is a hole in the rod where the hook holder was.

short answer no with a "if"
    long answer yes with a "but"

unless you're putting serious stress on it, it should be fine, try not to make the hole worse, you might want to fill the hole with a bit of epoxy.

Comment

No, you should be fine.

Comment

What is the rod made of? Graphite, spun fiberglass, boron? Has the hole compromised the material?

Comment

Originally posted by buckhunter View Post
          What is the rod made of? Graphite, spun fiberglass, boron? Has the hole compromised the material?
          Have no idea but it's a Berkely Lightening rod baitcaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post

unless you're putting serious stress on it, it should be fine, try not to make the hole worse, you might want to fill the hole with a bit of epoxy.
            Haha. Do you consider catching up to a 40" pike or musky serious stress?

Comment

Originally posted by small game sportsman View Post
              No, you should be fine.
              It was fine for a 23" pickeral, just don't want to see it break on 30" plus pike or musky. That would be a bad day.

Comment

not on my 8ft poles ?(????)?

Comment

Originally posted by small game sportsman View Post
                  No, you should be fine.
                  If you are not comfortable using it then it needs to be fixed. Having confidence in your equipment is just as important as anything else that goes into fishing.

Comment

Well this is a 7' medium heavy, so I will probably replace it for my son and I will take it and put some epoxy in there. I am comfortable taking my chances.

Comment

To put your answer into the real world with a far more serious answer. On 911 a plane was flown into the World Trade Center. The construction of the building was basically a tube. Once the tube was breached the result was historic. Simple physics. As Buckshott posted the proper glue might remedy this. +1 Buck

Comment

Thanks everybody!

Comment

you should be fine, even if it goes it will likely crack before it actually breaks, so you'll get some warning. Someday you might get a sound that signals "This is the last fish I should catch with this rod.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad