Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best way to cook Walleye?

What's the best way to cook Walleye?

Tough to beat fresh fish under the fryer for shore lunch....if I want to put together a nice meal you can't beat pistachio crusted or almond/Parmesan

Comment

Use 3-4 lb walleye and deep fry in a beer batter.

Comment

the best is the way you like best, so you need to play around a bit. But since you asked, I just like to dust the fillets lightly with flour ( I season flour with a little salt, pepper or paprika) and pan fry in olive oil with a little butter too for about 3-4 min per side (more if very thick). You really can't cook a lot of fish this way, but I love it because the fine taste of walleye comes through without a heavy coat of batter.

Comment

I like to broil larger walleye fillets and baste them with garlic butter. About 4 minutes per side. Smaller eaters are pan fried with a coating of cornmeal and flour seasoned with pepper.

Comment

Use a fryer for it.

Comment

Since this was brought up again. I like a 50 50 breading with corn flakes then fry.

Comment

We make a beer batter coating and deep fry.

Comment

Season with plain salt and pepper, or Old Bay if you like it, then just saute in olive oil or butter. Clean and simple and really does justice to the fish.

If deep-frying, whatever kind of batter you use, be sure to really shake off the excess flour before putting the pieces in the oil, and make sure your oil is hot enough. You should see fast, plentiful bubbling as you gently place the fillets in the oil. Also, don't just rely on seasoned flour -- season the fish itself before doing anything else.
                  Last edited by MattM37; 11-21-2019, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marika View Post
                    What's the best way to cook Walleye?
                    The best way to cook walleye or halibut is to mix up a beer batter with mustard and put them in a deep fryer.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad