Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok, I've got another question about baitcasting reels... two actually. first, what does the gear ratio mean? I know it has to d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, I've got another question about baitcasting reels... two actually. first, what does the gear ratio mean? I know it has to d

Ok, I've got another question about baitcasting reels... two actually. first, what does the gear ratio mean? I know it has to do with the number of turns and how fast it brings in line, but I'm not sure what's good and what's bad... second, what's a good, relatively easy-to-use reel that wont break the bank? Right now I'm looking at the Quantum Kevin VanDam series, as well as the Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier. Any other suggestions?

THE GEAR RATIO IE 5:1 MEANS FOR EVERY FULL TURN OF THE HANDLE THE SPOOL MAKES 5 FULL TURNS. AS FOR A GOOD REEL YOU FIND I ALMOST ALWAYS WILL RECOMMEND SHIMANO.

Comment

like firehawk, i like the shimano reels. the solstic is great! match th reel to the rod. i like shaekspeare rods and the allstar rods are great too. i've found a lot of my fishing gear at yard sales and found some awsome stuff. if you are fairly new, get a spinning reel as baitcasters need some practice and closed face reels are a pain. best of luck. the faster the retrieve ratio means you can get the fish out of cover like brush that much faster to keep from hanging up but pay a lot of attention to the drag! set it wrong,like too tight and you risk breaking off. setting the drag while you are fighting a fish is too late!

Comment

Daiwa needs to be on your list too. A high gear ratio is good, you still have all the torque you need to fight fish (you should have your rod doing the work anyway), and when you really want to rip in some line, you can. I never thought much about it, but when I got a 7.1/1 ratio reel, it was like having a Ferrari on my rod. I like the speed available, and you can still go as slow as you like. One crank can pull in over 30 inches of line.

Comment

To what jamesti said, I've now got 4 different spinning rigs that I'm pretty happy with, but i've been really interested in getting a baitcaster. Is there some reason that a 7.0:1 would be bad? would it be best for topwater? crankbaits? soft plastics? swimbaits?

Comment

You dont't have to get a top dollar reel to fish. As long as you take care of it, it should work fine. The reels your looking at seem like good ones though. I have been looking at the Quantum KVD reels also

Comment

Any thing KVD indorsees will work great, he's not gonna put his name on anything that's below par. Like others have said, you dont have to spend big bucks to get good fishing equipment. I like a graphite rod with a med heavy action for anything larger than pan fish, I need the backbone to pull bigger fish out of cover and to make good hook sets. Higher reel speed helps on pulling top water lures and for getting slack line in after a hard hook set or while pulling that 10 pound bass out of brush. I use bait casting reels mostly, but always have a spiining rod or two in my boat for long cast with lighter line and while finesse fishing drop shot or other light line applications.

Comment

Abu Garcia Black Max.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad