Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

has any one ever used scum frogs? i like how you can throw them into lily pads and they generate A LOT OF STRIKES however i can

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has any one ever used scum frogs? i like how you can throw them into lily pads and they generate A LOT OF STRIKES however i can

has any one ever used scum frogs? i like how you can throw them into lily pads and they generate A LOT OF STRIKES however i can never get a good hook in the mouth. they just strike but never get hooked.? any suggestions?

you should wait a bit longer than you normally would and then set the hook

Comment

i have done that it says to wait 2 seconds which i do. but by then the fish have already let the hook go

Comment

i use them, i use a pair of pliers to open the hook up just a tad bit, and wait about 1 second to set the hook, i also experienced this problem, but this seemed to work for me

Comment

wow ok didnt think about that. that should probably work. thanks!

Comment

Yea, I use baits like that quite often. Timing is key. Let the fish take the bait completely under before setting the hook. Sometimes this can be because the strikes are from smaller fish. Like tbogg10 said, opening up the hooks may help too.

Comment

Agree with the above, you're setting the hook too soon. Its hard not to, but wait til you feel the weight of the fish... A great bait for slop is one called the Bill Norman Weed Walker. The hook is a little more exposed for good hook ups... Come in many colors... I've had the best luck using black...

Comment

Try soom Zoom Speed Craws rigged with 2/0 hook, I get better hook ups with these baits. they work great as a buzz bait or just lilly hoppin like a frog.

Comment

these are all good answers. yes, it's all about timing and setting the hook. i have tried using pliers to bent the hooks out more but then it becomes another problem hooking to weeds and lily pads. try a zoom horny toad with a large weedless single hook.

Comment

You need to be patient and wait before setting the hook. You should feel the fish on the line before you yank.

Comment

be sure to wait to set the hook. also, i like to use them as a locator and follow up the strikes i miss with a soft plastic jerk bait or plastic worm to catch the active bass.

Comment

It's something you just have to get used to. Practice makes perfect, the fact you generate huge strikes but hookups aren't always successful keeps me coming back for more

Comment

All great answers above. One thing to be sure of is that you use the right tackle, you need at least a medium heavy power rod (heavy would be better) with a fast action. Also, ideally you should be using braided line. Normally I use Power Pro. That way you can set the hook right, if the fish has the frog all the way in its mouth you will stick him for sure.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad