Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i most recently joined the bass fishing team for high school, and i need a new rod. I was wondering if you had any links to a p

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i most recently joined the bass fishing team for high school, and i need a new rod. I was wondering if you had any links to a p

i most recently joined the bass fishing team for high school, and i need a new rod. I was wondering if you had any links to a page with them or could just ell me what i should look for. Thanks. I'm also not afraid to spend a little $ either.

Some people have all the luck, my school is infested with couch potatoes so only a few know how to fish. If only I went to a school where they had a bass fishing team...As for the rod, are you looking for a Baitcaster or spinning rod?

Comment

spinning

Comment

Reel-SY3000FJ model (140/10 pd test)
        http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0060367123667a&navCount=1&podId=006036 7&parentId=cat20333&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&c mCat=MainCatcat20166-cat20333_TGP&catalogCode=IK&rid=&parentType=index& indexId=cat20333&hasJS=true

Rod- Med action 7 foot model
        http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0053503122678a&navCount=4&podId=005350 3&parentId=cat20374&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&c mCat=MainCatcat20166-cat20374&catalogCode=IK&rid=&parentType=index&inde xId=cat20374&hasJS=true

Line- 20 pound test braid (Powerpro is the best of all brands)
        http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166-cat600395_TGP&id=0011779115245a&navCount=14&podId= 0011779&parentId=cat600395&masterpathid=&navAction =push&catalogCode=9IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexI d=cat600395&hasJS=true

Comment

look at a good cherry wood rod i have one and love it.

Comment

i wish we had a bass fishing team that would be awesome

Comment

Cabelas has some great deals. Combos or pieces. I got a cabelas whuppin stick last year and love it! It was an inexpensive rod and has great action. Other choice is an Ugly Stick! You can never go wrong with an ugly stick!

Comment

Well in that case, I've had my eye on a Fenwick HMG. It looks like a nice rod, if you get it tell me how it handles. And the price is around $100

Comment

You are so lucky. I wish my school had a bass fishing team. I would just check out cabelas if I was you. There are lots of good spinning combos at cabelas.

Comment

thanks for all the great help

Comment

Ugly sticks are great. Cabelas, Bass pro Shops and Dicks Sporting Goods are the places to look. You're so lucky, I wish my scool has a fishing team!

Comment

I am 62 and have fished my whole life for everything from bluegills to marlin. I have never caught a fish due to a rod and have only lost one hooked fish due to a rod (on that one, a 20 pound silver salmon hit my bass rod and broke the rod off at the reel with the strike). I have come to the conclusion that if I like the feel of the rod and it is pretty enough to make me happy, it is fine for fishing given that the action is appropriate for the size line and lure I intend to use. I like Ugly Sticks for most of my rods, both fresh water and salt water. They look good, are durable and feel good on the hookup and best of all they are economical so I can usually afford to get just one more. Good luck on the team and remember, it is not the fishing rod that wins the tournaments... it is the fisherman and perserverance (you have to have your hook in the water).

Comment

You'll need a few good-great rods, I'd start with 3 or 4 min. 3 baitcasting and one spinning. 1 extra fast heavy action 6.5"-7.5" worm rod rigged with 14-25 lb string. a 7.5 fast med heavy casting rod with 10 -12 lb string for crankbaits, spiiners and a 6-6.5 med action rigged with 14-20 mono for top water action. a 7' spinning rigged with 8-14 lb florocarbon for finese fishing and hitting those long shot throws. I fish with ten rods, all rigged and ready for the water I plan to fish. I use Im 6 and Im 7 graphite rods made by Castaway and All Star rods, they cost from 30-100 and perform close to 100-300 priced rods and are cheaper to replaced if broken or damaged, both have limited lifetime warranties and will repair for a very small fee. Here's a great link discusing chosing the right rod, has some good advise. good lucks and catch bunches, I do!

Comment

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/rodselection.html

Comment

I would agree with cgull that you will want more than one rod, a good starting point would be a medium heavy/fast action spinning rod. however, you should really learn to throw a bait caster. For bait casting rods I would think along the lines of a heavy, medium heavy, or someting else depending on your situation. You may want to pick up a second spinning rod as well for some finesse aplications. Make sure your rods fit your fishing style, if you drop-shot a lot feel free to have two drop-shot rods.

St. Croix makes great rods, I have the rod in this link and it is wonderful and versatile - http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpageRDSSTCROIX-SCASSR.html - the MH one.

For Baitcasting, I have extensively uses the Shimano Cumara line of rods and they are great, I think they are actually a good buy though quite expensive. Diawa Light and Tough rods are also very good. The Shimano Crucials are great too though a bit on the heavy side.

Final advice: unless you spend 200 bucks on a rod try to get the rod in your hands at a tackle shop and get a feel for if you like it, it is a real bummer to be stuck with a rod you don't love (trust me on that).

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad