Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are a couple of the best ice fishing lures? How much ice should there be to go fishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rodger_25
    replied
    The northland forage minnow spoon or fire-eye minnow will catch about anything that swims. If you are fishing for panfish use the small sizes. If you are targeting bass or walleye, use the larger size. I switch out the treble hooks that come on them for either a smaller treble hook or a tiny single shank hook for panfish. I tip them with wax worms for panfish or minnow heads for anything else

Leave a comment:

• Drock
    replied
    Matters what you are fishing for?And six inches.

Leave a comment:

• Skeeb
    replied
    The least amount of ice I go out on knowing I'm safe is 6 inches. But I like using "Jigging Shad Raps" made by Rapala. I catch big bluegills, big crappie, and bass of all sizes. I've also lost some HUGE fish while using them. I don't know if they were big pike or walleye but I've had some bigguns on.

Leave a comment:

• HuskyKMA
    replied
    General rule is five inches of good clear ice to support a person. I a big guy, no less than six for me.

Leave a comment:

• Sourdough Dave
    replied
    live minnow and six inches of ice

Leave a comment:

• BioGuy
    replied
    Depend on what species you are fishing for, and 4 inches is pretty safe ice.

Leave a comment:

• bigjake
    replied
    Alot of variables here....what species are you fishing for?, what kind of water are you fishing on? On lakes and ponds 5" of solid clear ice is enough to safely support a fisherman, while on rivers I wouldnt step foot on anything less than 8" of ice.
    Most basic ice fishing lures are ballhead jigs and live bait(sized to fish species yer after.Maggots and waxies for panfish, minnows and leeches for walleye,trout and bass and large minnows or suckers for pike and musky.Rapala jigging minnows,swedish pimples and other jigging spoons also work in some situations.If live bait isnt legal/avaible the GULP line of soft plastics work well under the ice as well.

Leave a comment:

• What are a couple of the best ice fishing lures? How much ice should there be to go fishing?

What are a couple of the best ice fishing lures? How much ice should there be to go fishing?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to The Culture of Lying
    by labrador12
    Gave us my butt crack! Took our independence and forced our unwilling compliance with a BIG BROTHER solution, one size fits all. Snowhole you are a guy...
    Today, 11:21 AM
  • The Culture of Lying
    by jhjimbo
    The culture of lying is epidemic in Washington, D.C. and the rest of the Country. How did this get started? Was it Richard Nixon ? The crooked main...
    Today, 08:16 AM
  • Reply to The Culture of Lying
    by 99explorer
    Let's give credit where credit is due.
    FDR gave us Social Security and LBJ gave us Medicare.
    Thank God for both.
    Today, 11:06 AM
  • Reply to FBI Raids Trumps Florida Home
    by bowhunter75richard
    As was previously posted.......the midterms are no sure victory for conservatives. As stated, the dimwits will pull every trick to denounce their opponents...
    Today, 10:30 AM
  • FBI Raids Trumps Florida Home
    by rock rat
    Former US President Donald Trump has said his Florida home is being raided by the FBI.

Mr Trump said in a statement Mar-a-Lago in Palm Beach...
    08-08-2022, 07:39 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X