Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are a couple of the best ice fishing lures? How much ice should there be to go fishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are a couple of the best ice fishing lures? How much ice should there be to go fishing?

What are a couple of the best ice fishing lures? How much ice should there be to go fishing?

Alot of variables here....what species are you fishing for?, what kind of water are you fishing on? On lakes and ponds 5" of solid clear ice is enough to safely support a fisherman, while on rivers I wouldnt step foot on anything less than 8" of ice.
    Most basic ice fishing lures are ballhead jigs and live bait(sized to fish species yer after.Maggots and waxies for panfish, minnows and leeches for walleye,trout and bass and large minnows or suckers for pike and musky.Rapala jigging minnows,swedish pimples and other jigging spoons also work in some situations.If live bait isnt legal/avaible the GULP line of soft plastics work well under the ice as well.

Comment

Depend on what species you are fishing for, and 4 inches is pretty safe ice.

Comment

live minnow and six inches of ice

Comment

General rule is five inches of good clear ice to support a person. I a big guy, no less than six for me.

Comment

The least amount of ice I go out on knowing I'm safe is 6 inches. But I like using "Jigging Shad Raps" made by Rapala. I catch big bluegills, big crappie, and bass of all sizes. I've also lost some HUGE fish while using them. I don't know if they were big pike or walleye but I've had some bigguns on.

Comment

Matters what you are fishing for?And six inches.

Comment

The northland forage minnow spoon or fire-eye minnow will catch about anything that swims. If you are fishing for panfish use the small sizes. If you are targeting bass or walleye, use the larger size. I switch out the treble hooks that come on them for either a smaller treble hook or a tiny single shank hook for panfish. I tip them with wax worms for panfish or minnow heads for anything else

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Abortion Up To States
                  by 99explorer
                  When an appeals court reviews a case, it looks at past rulings on the subject for a precedent, as the question of law may already have been decided....
                  Today, 11:11 AM
                • Abortion Up To States
                  by jhjimbo
                  Court reversed abortion, back to the States where it should have been in the first place. Let them vote on it.
                  Yesterday, 12:22 PM
                • Reply to TGIF; Party Time
                  by PigHunter
                  Right Said Fred - "I'm Too Sexy"

And I'm too sexy for your party
                  Too sexy for your party
                  No way I'm disco dancing...
                  Today, 10:21 AM
                • TGIF; Party Time
                  by fitch270
                  Almost, Friday evening actually but looking for a play list, lol.

Getting it rolling with The Cars.

06-22-2022, 10:06 AM
                • Reply to You guys are sleeping
                  by 99explorer
                  I think what you are saying is that our elected officials would disarm the public to prevent an armed insurrection.
                  Not for reasons of public safety,...
                  Today, 10:16 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X