Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best way to tell if the bass in my pond are overstocked or just young bass. I just move to the pond and the pass ow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Agree with Beekeeper!

Leave a comment:

• jamesti
    replied
    most bass will grow to a size according to the size of their environment and food availability.

Leave a comment:

• codymeyer11
    replied
    I have a pond also, and it is not about overstocking the bass, the levels of the bait fish and bass will even out in time, the size of the pond and cover will have the most to do with the bass size, try planting lily pads or dropping a small tree in the pond

Leave a comment:

• ETangler
    replied
    My local game agency has a website with great info about pond fish. Maybe check out your local fisheries agency.

Leave a comment:

• rezavoirdog
    replied
    Throw in a pair of Northern Pike at least 18-24 inches long, and you'll have bigger bass...

Leave a comment:

• Charley
    replied
    Teufelhunden got it right on that the fish may have a large head and stunted body if they are over stocked.

Leave a comment:

• Beekeeper
    replied
    Ogleby50,

A colleague of mine has put together a very useful web site for pond management concerns. Check out the link below. I have found the relative weight calculation method to be very useful. It is also fun because you get to catch the bass!

http://www.ugaextension.com/habersham/anr/PondManagement.html

Leave a comment:

• teufelhunden
    replied
    The thing I have noticed is that all of the fish will be about the same size, and their heads will be larger than normal. Keep the first 5 fish you catch, weigh and measure each one if they are very similar chances are you are over stocked.

Leave a comment:

• What is the best way to tell if the bass in my pond are overstocked or just young bass. I just move to the pond and the pass ow

What is the best way to tell if the bass in my pond are overstocked or just young bass. I just move to the pond and the pass owner has passed away. I don't know what to look for on the small bass.

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad