Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a VERY shallow, narrow stream near my house with a few beaver dams on it, but for some reason its loaded with bass. How s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a VERY shallow, narrow stream near my house with a few beaver dams on it, but for some reason its loaded with bass. How s

I have a VERY shallow, narrow stream near my house with a few beaver dams on it, but for some reason its loaded with bass. How should I fish the stream during post-spawn

The best Bass buster I know of, JITERBUG!

http://search.live.com/images/results.aspx?q=jitterbug+bait&FORM=BIRE#focal=f25c 45f030c6308ae2c1997a459c66be&furl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww .tackleandrods.com%2Fpics%2Farbogast%2Fjbft.jpg

Comment

Try a Mepps minnow, or maybe a top water.

Comment

thanks i'll have to try it this summer

Comment

You didn't state what type of bass you are after or the stream bed structure. (gravel or mud). Either way I have a great time catching smallmouth and a few largemouth with Berkley power grubs (pumkinseed,pearl, or black work best) with a lead head. If you use a three inch grub tear off the first couple of ribbs to shorten the length and get the hook closer to the tail. I also have alot of luck with the Rebel Teeny crawdad just watch those treble hooks!! Bass flip without warning!!. For added fun try ultralight tackle with 2 to 4 pound test. They'll sit on the downstream side of bolders and overhangs or anywhere they can find shade during mid day but will move to the rapids in the morning and evening. Good luck and happy fishing.

Comment

If you are talking about when the bass are still on their nests, then topwater is the way to go. The fish are highly aggressive and territorial at that time and will hit anything that comes near them.

Comment

Rooster tail man, small one in a small stream and with light tackle, i mean 2 lb test OR LIGHTER, you can have so much fun with a setup like that.

Comment

On small, shallow streams I like to use small baits. Curly tail grubs on safety pin type spinners are very effective. Small crankbaits (crawfish imatations are a good choice). Small top water baits like Rapala's are also good.

Comment

Top water lewers.

Comment

Night crawlers worked like a charm for me.

Comment

Poppers and topwaters or un weighted plastic worms on a texas rig.

Comment

to chad, it is a clearwater maine stream with two bottom types vegetation and gravel.

Comment

spinners and buzz baits....other top water lures work well in shallow streams esp

Comment

I also live in Maine and fish similar streams. I catch a lot of smallmouths using Rattlesnake 4" Lil Jerk Twitch, blue galaxy color or 7.5" Culprit purple worm. Both rigged carolina. When I don't need weedless I use the Rebel crawfish.

Comment

Definitely Night crawlers for me!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad