Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well I've got a spinning reel with maybe 6 lb test line, I don't know. It was a Crhistmas present, and its probably worth about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I've got a spinning reel with maybe 6 lb test line, I don't know. It was a Crhistmas present, and its probably worth about

Well I've got a spinning reel with maybe 6 lb test line, I don't know. It was a Crhistmas present, and its probably worth about $35. I was practicing casting in my backyard and a rod guide came off. I am only a beginner so should I use this rod and have it fixed, or get a new spinning or baitcasting one or new line? Also, what should I fish for around Pittsburgh PA, and what baits/lures/spinners should I use. I have a budget of about $50 to spend on a new rod/reel or line and lures/bait/spinners. And what line should I use?

If you only have $50 for a budget you might want to get it fixed and use the $50 for a tackle box and gear. Because to buy a decent rod and reel yo are going to use up that $50.

Comment

i agree with rrmont. although i would replace the line to.

Comment

You can get a rod repair kit made by fuji for around $3-5 bucks and repair the rod. Or you can have it fixed by a rod repair shop, but it may cost you a lot more.

If you were going to buy another with a budget of around $50 you could go with a shimano or abu-garcia combo, or even a mitchell combo that would keep you within your budget. These are not top end rod and reel combos by any means, but for $50 you can get a pretty good combo.

As mentioned by rrmont and mutt you may want to fix it and invest in some tackle to better your chances for different species, I would also upgrade the line with a stronger lb test.

Comment

keep the reel maybe buy an ugly stick then the lures/ line depends on what your fishing for if it is bass any small to medium crankbait will work. then a white spinner bait, you cant go wrong with live bait. for the line maybe 8-12 pound line and that should be it hope it helps.

Comment

Keep the reel, buy a new rod.

Comment

Fix the rod and buy new line. I never did trust the stuff that came pre-spooled.

Comment

Dude ,
                just get a 30$ pole at walmart, I thinks that they actually work better than most other brands and replace once about every two years. Even for 5lb. bass 6 pound spiderline is all you need.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad