Record bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record bass

I believe I may have have the world record large mouth male bass at 10lb 4oz I have it on my wall . great story behind it anyone know of one bigger ?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Fmason; 02-28-2020, 07:46 PM.

World record large mouth - 22+ pounds, caught in Japan. Google it.

Comment

Real nice fish, but no world record. You might check your state's records, though. The state record in my state is 11 pounds, 4 ounces. Your state might also give out Angler Achievement awards for fish that come close to record size. Check your conservation department's website.

Comment

This is a male bass

Comment

No world record there. 10lbs is a nice bass. My state record is 11+ and they get bigger than that. Still looks like a good record for you.

Comment

Does anyone read . this is a male. I've heard of the biggest caught in Texas around 7lbs . I caught this in a deep reservoir in CA. In the 80's.

Comment

You can say it’s a male all you want but sorry doesn’t go by that. A bass is bass. None of these say there males but I’m sure some are.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/11-al...rgemouth-bass/

Comment

Ok thanks . I know the IGFA DOES NOT DO MALE OR FEMAL BUT SPECIES . I contacted many people years ago pros also and they havnt heard of a male that big ever .

Comment

Just curious. How did you determine that was a male.

Comment

Originally posted by Fmason View Post
                    Does anyone read . this is a male. I've heard of the biggest caught in Texas around 7lbs . I caught this in a deep reservoir in CA. In the 80's.
                    If you wanted us to know that you meant world-record male largemouth, you shouldn't have put a period after "world record large mouth" and then begun a new sentence with "Male." It wasn't a failure to read or read correctly on our part. Anyone reading that would have thought you meant the world-record for the species, and then were just adding details about your particular fish.

But I don't wish to foster an unpleasant atmosphere on the thread; it's good to have a new user here to talk fishing with! Several sources I looked up did indeed mention that males seldom get that big. I think you've brought up a good point here: Given that there is such a size discrepancy in many species between males and females, maybe the record-keepers should consider the distinction. It'd be hard to determine sometimes, especially with caught-and-released fish now being accepted for record fish, but maybe worth some consideration.

By the way, here's one of my favorite jokes: One kid says, "Let's eat, Grandma!" Another kid says, "Let's eat Grandma!" The tagline: "Punctuation saves lives."
                    Last edited by MattM37; 02-27-2020, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the grammatical correction . this bass was determined to be a male by the taxidermist who did work for the CA fish and game . it had two sperm sacks in it . if you look at the photo there is no pot belly .

Comment

So what’s the great story behind it?

Nice fish. I can’t tell from the photo, is that a skin mount or replica?

Comment

Skin mount

Comment

The world record is still I believe the 25 lb largemouth caught by a poor black man during the Depression in Georgia. There are photos I understand but it was not mounted. The fella took it home and ate it after official weigh in. It was the Depression after all. The story has been published many times.

A few years back that record was substantially beat in California. Something of a pro bass fisherman as I recall. He foul hooked the monster accidentally. Landed it and had it officially weighed before releasing it again. Several photos. But he readily admitted it had been foul hooked which disqualified him from the record books. Quite a guy. After the article was published I guess it was months before anyone could swim in the lake as it was choked with boats trying to catch the big one. Never happened as far as I know.

My largest was 6 lbs from the Montana lake where we had a cottage as a kid. I know of several eight pounders that came out of Echo Lake back then. I saw a few that must have been ten pounds but too smart to catch. Florida produces a lot of largemouth larger than ten pounds.

Comment

Correct me if I's wrong, but the heaviest largemouth bass all seem to be females loaded with eggs.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad