Matching an old reel to a new rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matching an old reel to a new rod

I decided to give my old reel (a Garcia Mitchell 300 spinning reel bought in the 1970s) a new lease on life but can't find a new rod that can hold the thicker wider foot. Any suggestions? I mostly fish smallmouths, walleyes, and northerns. Don't need a heavyweight rod. Thanks.

I buy my fishing gear from academy sports. I walk in with my reel and go rod to rod till I find something that feels good. Having an older style reel like yours I don't think there would be a problem of you doing the same in the sports store you shop.

Comment

Dewman said the best solution. They don’t make them very wide anymore and is getting hard to find. I wouldn’t buy any on the internet unless you now it is big enough. The ones I know that are bigger are the bigger rods.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTrader View Post
        I decided to give my old reel (a Garcia Mitchell 300 spinning reel bought in the 1970s) a new lease on life but can't find a new rod that can hold the thicker wider foot. Any suggestions? I mostly fish smallmouths, walleyes, and northerns. Don't need a heavyweight rod. Thanks.
        I suspect you may be looking at casting rods. Those reels usually have smaller foot. Back in the sixties and seventies many of the spinning rods just had two sliding loops over cork. I seem to recall a very fine fiberglass Garcia rod with agate guides that was rigged that way. I still have the bag but the rod broke a long time ago. I rewrapped it once. It was a beauty. Probably would be worth a lot of money today.

Comment

Thanks, fellas. I ended up getting a new reel at the last minute just before my BWCAW trip. Turns out its the 2019 version of the Mitchell 300! Must have been fate. Reel works great on my rod too. Thanks to the guy at Cabela's who helped me solve that problem.

Comment

Nothing beats getting a new setup as long as you use it, it is worth it. Tight lines and enjoy.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad