Fall fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall fishing

Do you do any fall fishing? Year after year, I find I enjoy it more and more. Had some good smallmouth fishing in the river this past Saturday, caught most of them on old-style topwaters, a frog hula popper and an old Pop-R. I also tried this old Flatfish I have from my grandfather -- no hits, but did get one enormous swirl behind it, on two consecutive retrieves. I'm thinking that might have been a big pike -- this river has a few. Interestingly, over the years I've caught maybe two dozen pike in this river, and four of them have been silver pike. They're pretty cool looking. First time I got one I was fifteen or sixteen and I thought, "Holy Crap, my first muskie!" Later I was telling our neighbor -- who happened to be a conservation department fisheries biologist, believe it or not. He said nope, it was a silver-strain northern. I had never heard of such a thing.

I don’t usually but I’m going to try this year. The boy’s been hitting the river hard this past week, school starts in the morning. He’s been catching a little bit of everything. Funny thing is after trying to catch carp all summer with little success he’s landed 4 the past few days, one on a black curly tail and the others on trout magnets. One today on an ultra light rig with 4# test. Also smallmouth bass on his fly rod. His story telling has me developing a bit of an itch to go.

Silver Pike is a new one to me.

Comment

Never heard a pike being called silver before. My two favorite times to fish is in fall and spring. Bass are picking up. So will the Muskie and other fish. Salmon and trout will start to make their runs. As the water gets colder the fish start to swim around.

Comment

Perhaps I'll work in a little fall fishing. Usually hunting and carousing take up my Fall weekends

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
          Perhaps I'll work in a little fall fishing. Usually hunting and carousing take up my Fall weekends
          Rent a pontoon boat and you can fish and carouse at the same time!

Comment

Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
            Never heard a pike being called silver before. My two favorite times to fish is in fall and spring. Bass are picking up. So will the Muskie and other fish. Salmon and trout will start to make their runs. As the water gets colder the fish start to swim around.
            The silver pike is a mutation of a northern, not a separate species. The first one I caught, the silver-gray color of it made me think muskie or hybrid, but I could clearly see the defined spots of a northern, dimmer against a gray background but still visible. That told me it wasn't a tiger muskie, which was my first thought, as the river I was fishing then does hold a few of those. I asked another biologist not too long ago if they might still be hybrids, only with the pike spots instead of the tiger muskie stripes, and he said nope, he'd never seen such a thing, it was definitely a pike.

If you search google for silver-phase pike, you'll find quite a bit. Some of the photos look to me more like regular-phase northerns, not as silvery as the ones I've caught, but still a lot lighter than the usual northern.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
              I don’t usually but I’m going to try this year. The boy’s been hitting the river hard this past week, school starts in the morning. He’s been catching a little bit of everything. Funny thing is after trying to catch carp all summer with little success he’s landed 4 the past few days, one on a black curly tail and the others on trout magnets. One today on an ultra light rig with 4# test. Also smallmouth bass on his fly rod. His story telling has me developing a bit of an itch to go.

Silver Pike is a new one to me.
              I love standing in a small river and seeing a couple of monster carp just come lazily along. You know right away they're just carp but that whole "Whoa, big fish!" excitement kicks right in.

Years ago, I used to sight-fish for them, trying to lob crayfish tails or whole crayfish upstream in their paths. It worked fairly often. Sometimes I'd even stalk upstream after seeing a little cloud of silt come down from where one was up there rooting in the bottom. As I'm sure you and your son know, however, they're just about as spooky as trout. Good fun though on a summer day when nothing much else is hitting.

Last edited by MattM37; 09-04-2019, 01:29 PM.

Comment

That’s funny how they call it a mutation but whatever. I see where you call it a Muskie as others called it that to on the internet. As it go you still caught a pike. Was it a decent size cause they said they are ill so wonder if it causes them to do other mutated stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
                  That’s funny how they call it a mutation but whatever. I see where you call it a Muskie as others called it that to on the internet. As it go you still caught a pike. Was it a decent size cause they said they are ill so wonder if it causes them to do other mutated stuff.
                  All four that I've caught have been 24-30 inches, seemed normal and healthy other than the color, which doesn't mean they were healthy. Neither biologist said anything about illness, though, just that it was a color phase.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

Rent a pontoon boat and you can fish and carouse at the same time!
                    Great idea!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to End of an era
                      by Milldawg
                      Dew man guy who owns the land a farm of his wants the spot so I’m out. All of this started since there is monster running around out there....
                      Today, 11:10 PM
                    • End of an era
                      by Milldawg
                      Well lost my hunting spot of 7 years last Saturday. So now I’m joining the lease crowd. Any advice this will be my first year leasing ground next year....
                      Today, 03:35 PM
                    • Reply to Season ends
                      by WA Mtnhunter
                      I’m 70, battling cancer, trying to stay in shape, and still working my dogs. Not going to quit until I can’t get on my feet. I’ve had a good run,...
                      Today, 10:39 PM
                    • Season ends
                      by Ontario Honker Hunter
                      On my way home ... finally. Headed to West Side (Montana) for Thanksgiving with my brothers but a very nasty blizzard delayed me till Saturday. After...
                      Today, 12:41 AM
                    • Reply to Virginia Gun Confiscation !
                      by Sarge01
                      If Virginia had followed through with their anti gun legislation you would have seen the start of the 2nd civil war in the US.
                      Today, 10:26 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X