Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nice footage of spawning smallmouths (and turtles)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice footage of spawning smallmouths (and turtles)

This is my favorite fishing channel. This guy seems like a real sportsman, and he sure knows how to catch smallmouth.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WxfmXUnM0o

If he was a real sportsman then he wouldn’t be bothering the bass when there spawning. Just saying. They are so easy to catch. They are very aggressive and attack anything really. I read something that sometimes they do not return to their beds. That one sure did in a hurry.

Comment

Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
      If he was a real sportsman then he wouldn’t be bothering the bass when there spawning. Just saying. They are so easy to catch. They are very aggressive and attack anything really. I read something that sometimes they do not return to their beds. That one sure did in a hurry.
      Yeah, I thought of that, too, but I think the jury is still out on whether it harms the population. Especially in rivers: You do have baitfish, but you don't have the opportunistic schools of sunfish ready to dart in as soon as the bass is off the bed. I don't think this guy makes it a habit; here I think he was mainly taking advantage of the chance to get the underwater action on video. Point taken, though.

Comment

Nice fish there. Two biggest smallmouths I've ever caught came out of the Mississippi River in Minnesota.

Did you go out Saturday Matt? The boy and I went out late morning, he caught three and missed a couple. I missed two at the boat and a third farther out. Took one home that swallowed his jig and was bleeding bad, didn’t look good to release it. Ate just fine.

Comment

I didn't go out for bass, I just did the usual trout-streams -- the rain had them running pretty good. Got a couple of decent browns. I'll get into the river-wading for smallmouths once it gets hot out, and we have a couple of small lakes on state land that are decent shore-fishing for largemouths. Actually you catch nine or ten pickerel for every bass, especially once the weeds get going, but I don't mind them.

Comment

Do have to say that was some nice footage. Neat to see the bass hit.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
              This is my favorite fishing channel. This guy seems like a real sportsman, and he sure knows how to catch smallmouth.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WxfmXUnM0o

Nice photography. I don't fish beds, why stress the fish ? But that is just me. The fish would probably hit a bare hook so I don't see the challenge either.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad