Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats your go to lure or bait for Great Lakes run steelhead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats your go to lure or bait for Great Lakes run steelhead?

Whats your go to lure or bait for Great Lakes run steelhead?

Cream sucker spawn.

Comment

I fish the Clinton River area, my best luck is always with a spawn sack with 3-5 eggs, but as for lures, twitching a floating rapala or using the berkley trout dough type stuff is always productive too.

Comment

Salmon River, Pulaski, NY, I use pink shrimp scented worms, trout beads, others swear by floating egg sacks (color pref vary)

Comment

wigglers

Comment

i use a combination of minows and night crawlers...i get really good results with them on the wiliamson river and upper klamath lake...

Comment

Here in NW Indiana, the Salmon are running upstream and they are hitting on nightcrawlers. I have seen one Salmon that was over 3 feet long, a Chinook Salmon, he was skittish every time I threw my nightcrawler ahead of him. At best, he came a few inches from it on one pass, yet failed to accept my offering. At the very least, I caught a 15-pounder on a nightcrawler. So come on down to Indiana and experience the thrill of battling a Salmon!

Comment

I use night crawlers!!!

Comment

on the salmon river near pulaski and Altmar, My favorite approach is def a blue fox spinner or a floating jointed Rapala. The way I fish it is by standing in the shallows above a deep fast run. I'll throw my plug or spinner to the back of the run and let it sit in the current, slowly swinging it from side to side and slowly gaining back a little bit of line at a time. This will present the lure for the maximum amount of time and usually piss off a few fish. I was fishing this method yesterday in two different spots and I hooked multiple fish. Unfortunately my landing percentage was 2 for 6. Remember though that any weighted spinner or spoon cannot have more than one barb because trebles are illegal on the Salmon River.

Comment

For lures I would have to say flies. Stonefly or a nymph will do. On a little muddier waters I would do a steamer. As for bait can't beat a egg sack. On a tuff day sometimes a single egg with a minnow.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                      by PigHunter
                      Bubba, I've been curious too. This is our first and so far I like it during dry fire. We're going to see how it is at the range in a few days....
                      Today, 06:35 PM
                    • Handgun Laser Sights
                      by PigHunter
                      On 7/19, Milldawg mentioned he'd ordered a laser sight for his wife's Ruger LCP 380 and they were on sale at MidwayUSA. Well, that inspired me to order...
                      08-03-2020, 11:20 AM
                      by PigHunter
                      Good question. The old style Ruger LC9 has a very long trigger pull that's similar to that of a double action only revolver. I think it would be unlikely...
                      Today, 06:32 PM
                      by PigHunter
                      I know how you feel. There's no way I'b bet my life on a conceal carry without ever firing it. Just this morning, PigHuntress told me she'd been practicing...
                      Today, 06:27 PM
                    • Reply to Do You Like To Fish In The Rain ?
                      by Solitario Lupo
                      Jimbo I dont really go for eyes on Erie but that is impressive almost 80 degrees on top and in that depths wonder how cold it gets in that thermocline....
                      Today, 06:16 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X