Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your opinions on Fireline for bass? What pound test do you use? I've been thinking about giving it a try. The guy at th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your opinions on Fireline for bass? What pound test do you use? I've been thinking about giving it a try. The guy at th

What are your opinions on Fireline for bass? What pound test do you use? I've been thinking about giving it a try. The guy at the local tackle shop wanted to spool me up with 50# though and I told him no way. Seems like way too much when nearly all of the bass we get are under 2 pounds.

I love fireline for bass. The 50lb test may be the same diameter as 20. Remember that when filling your spool. If your fishing around stumps, docks or weeds you may need to horse them a bit.

Comment

Fireline works great, if you dont ecpect to be fishing around a bunch of brush drop down to the 30lb. Smaller diameter but oo soo strong.

Comment

Fireline works great, if you dont ecpect to be fishing around a bunch of brush drop down to the 30lb. Smaller diameter but oo soo strong.

Comment

I like to troll fireline because its small diameter lets me troll deeper with the same terminal tackle. But I personally prefer to cast monofilament for bass. I don't mind having to finess them out of the trash as I have practiced it for many years. I guess I could put a worm on the end of a log chain and then pull them out with a tractor too but it just doesn't seem like as much fun to me. I can't really imagine fishing for a 2 pound fish with 50 pound line either.

Comment

i use mostly braid also. Fireline is my favorite all around line for fresh and saltwater. As for using 50# for 2 pound bass, i agree that is over kill go with either 20 or 30 pound.

Comment

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'll think I'll give some 30 pound or so a try and see how I like it.

One other thing. The lake I fish most often is pretty heavily stained. But I do fish a reservoir at times that has very clear water. Have you ever had any instances where you suspect the bass are more skittish because of the Fireline being more visible than a mono?

Comment

I spooled one of my bass rigs w/ 14# Vanish, stuff casts like a dream, and is practically impossible to see in the water. It wasn't cheap, so I only bought a small spool, but I think it's worth it. Biggest bass so far w/it was a 5 pounder, but it landed her. Looks about like 6 or 8 pound test, and the name is accurate, if you're worried about spooking fish, I'd give it a try.

Comment

I have 6# Vanish on my trout rods. Good stuff. Thanks for the recommendation jbird.

Comment

I like 17lb mostly. 50 is WAY to big for bass. 17-20 casts good and is enough to horse out most fish and save a lot of lures to boot!

Comment

Ive tried most of the braids and seem to keep spooling the suffix. I hooked in to a 30lb musky with 20lb test and didnt have a problem. I also seem to get a little bit more on a cast as opposed to frieline or spiderwire.

Comment

I use 10lb spider wire. Have never had problems pullin anything out of the water with it. 50 sounds like overkill unless you going for a 25 lb striper in the rocks!

Comment

I use 10lb spider wire. Have never had problems pullin anything out of the water with it. 50 sounds like overkill unless you going for a 25 lb striper in the rocks!

Comment

Agreed with DakotaMan and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Hey Folks
                              by jhjimbo
                              Why does Bubba constantly corrupt a post by inserting an irrelevant post that changes the thread. He does that all the time.
                              We were talking about...
                              Today, 02:32 AM
                            • Hey Folks
                              by jhjimbo
                              Good Monday Morning

Hey folks, just a reminder, 99.9999% of law abiding gun owners did not shoot anybody this past weekend.
                              Yesterday, 11:12 AM
                            • Reply to Hey Folks
                              by jhjimbo
                              People don't buy a mower without an engine, just like at the flea market tools without a power cord or battery don't sell too well....
                              Today, 02:27 AM
                            • Reply to Hey Folks
                              by 99explorer
                              I have found that a riding mower takes less of a toll on crippled people, but you get more exercise with a pushing style reel mower.
                              Just an ob...
                              Yesterday, 10:58 PM
                            • Reply to Hey Folks
                              by franchi20
                              As other posted, the biter lives. It won't be forgotten that the dog's wrong doing was covered up as was the owner's....
                              Yesterday, 10:55 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X