Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a good spin reel & rod for both freshwater and saltwater? I am also looking for what would be a good line and streanth f

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a good spin reel & rod for both freshwater and saltwater? I am also looking for what would be a good line and streanth f

What is a good spin reel & rod for both freshwater and saltwater? I am also looking for what would be a good line and streanth for it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

A lot depends on what species, especially salt water, that you'll be targeting. I'm currently out of the loop on tackle brands, but have had a lot of experience in the past and know that bass tackle will handle lots of inshore species like speckled trout, redfish, flounder, sheephead, etc. but if you start getting into stripers, jacks, cobia, big bluefish and king mackerel size fish, you had better be looking at a reel with a good line capacity (200 yd. 15lb. test minimum and that's if you're fishing from a boat) and a drag that won't stick, freeze up or burn out. Good brands that are still around are Penn, Diawa and Shimano. Tight lines and good fishing.

Comment

I forgot---whatever tackle you decide on, it is imperative that you clean it up well with fresh water after each use in the salt or you'll soon have an expensive chunk of corrosion hanging on your rod. That salt water can be bad news and if there are any parts that can corrode, they will, and even if they can't, they might. Best of luck.

Comment

I like castaway and all star rods, great rods and not too expensive. I use mostly shimanos on my bait casting and spining rods. Like CR said clean especially after use in salt water, folow the cleaning recomendations that come with the reels. other reels I own and like are Penn and abu garcia. YOu can find some quality reels for a decent price at bass pro, cabelas or gander mountain.

Comment

for line strength, for bass and inshore fishing, I'd go down to 8 for light duty bass fishing and 10-12 for most all other uses.

Comment

go with the penn captiva combo and put 12 pound bearkly big game line in green on it. it handles 10 pound stripers to nice bass .

Comment

Agreed with Cgull and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Hey Folks
                by jhjimbo
                Why does Bubba constantly corrupt a post by inserting an irrelevant post that changes the thread. He does that all the time.
                We were talking about...
                Today, 02:32 AM
              • Hey Folks
                by jhjimbo
                Good Monday Morning

Hey folks, just a reminder, 99.9999% of law abiding gun owners did not shoot anybody this past weekend.
                Yesterday, 11:12 AM
              • Reply to Hey Folks
                by jhjimbo
                People don't buy a mower without an engine, just like at the flea market tools without a power cord or battery don't sell too well....
                Today, 02:27 AM
              • Reply to Hey Folks
                by 99explorer
                I have found that a riding mower takes less of a toll on crippled people, but you get more exercise with a pushing style reel mower.
                Just an ob...
                Yesterday, 10:58 PM
              • Reply to Hey Folks
                by franchi20
                As other posted, the biter lives. It won't be forgotten that the dog's wrong doing was covered up as was the owner's....
                Yesterday, 10:55 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X