Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This question is regarding frog/mouse lures. I often use these on top of cover (weed, lilly pads, etc.). They are great; howev

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This question is regarding frog/mouse lures. I often use these on top of cover (weed, lilly pads, etc.). They are great; howev

This question is regarding frog/mouse lures. I often use these on top of cover (weed, lilly pads, etc.). They are great; however, I typically have trouble with the hookset. I know others have posed similar questions, but I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice for setting more hooks with these lures. Thanks alot.

The key for me has been watching the line just ahead of my frog. Typically the strikes come when I let the lure fall, so I wait to see line getting pulled before I set. The pulling line shows the bass has turned away from me so when I try to set the hook catches a corner of his mouth. If you set too soon you will pull the lures right out of its mouth.

Comment

I generally change all of my treble hooks when I purchase new lures.

I go one size up as to not impede the action,and go with the EWG(Extra Wide Gap) hook.

Also don't set the hook so quick when fishing the mouse/frog,you will pull it out of their reach/mouth most of the time.

Wait until you feel them tug/pull it,then cross their eyes. If you don't buy the EWG hooks,make sure you sharpen the ones already on 'em.

Comment

I love this method of fishing. I set more hooks by using a slimmer bait and the hook rides just barely in the bait.

I take a knife to my frogs and make them 1/2 as thick as they are when you buy them and the bottoms are still white.

Comment

You gotta wait at least two seconds it usually says that on every box and if you want more info theres an article in the bass fishing section right below gear.

Comment

the back of the box does say to wait 2 seconds before you set the hook. I have found that sometimes, if i wait that long, the bass will spit out the bait. I usually just wait until i feel the fish. When i feel that tug, I set the hook with everything i have. buckhunter had a very good idea. I'd never thought of that. Makes sense, though.

Comment

I agree with freeborn wait till you feel the fish and let him have it. you will hook more than you loose.

Comment

I agree with ohiohunter, wait two seconds or so. No matter wat u do, u will prolly only catch half the fish that strike or less.

Comment

kehoema2-
                  Another think to remember is when fishing plastic frogs,don't squeeze the water out of the frog prior to casting.

Keeping the water in, causes the frog to feel life-like to the fish,and will hold onto it longer, giving you the opportunity to set the hook!

Comment

Agreed with ohiohunter and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Hey Folks
                      by MattM37
                      Heck, I didn't even give anyone a dirty look this weekend. Not even when we went to a supposedly famous BBQ joint and my pulled-pork and brisket "platter"...
                      Today, 07:33 PM
                    • Hey Folks
                      by jhjimbo
                      Good Monday Morning

Hey folks, just a reminder, 99.9999% of law abiding gun owners did not shoot anybody this past weekend.
                      Today, 11:12 AM
                    • Reply to Hey Folks
                      by jhjimbo
                      The dog died....
                      Today, 07:29 PM
                    • Reply to Hey Folks
                      by bowhunter75richard
                      That must have been quite the interesting performance to see.....you mowing while on crutches......just how does one manage such a interesting feat ?...
                      Today, 07:03 PM
                    • Reply to Hey Folks
                      by franchi20
                      My guns are safer than Biden's German Shepherd. They haven't bitten anybody....
                      Today, 07:03 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X