Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has any one fished Lake Shelbyville in central IL? What should I use to catch crappie and largemouth bass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has any one fished Lake Shelbyville in central IL? What should I use to catch crappie and largemouth bass?

Has any one fished Lake Shelbyville in central IL? What should I use to catch crappie and largemouth bass?

In the summer months your choice of crappie fishing rigging and crappie bait can vary on the size of fish you want to target......... As the water temperature warms to 70 degrees Fahrenheit the forage fish such as crappie fishing minnows begin to spawn........ And will continue to spawn throughout late spring and well into summer or until the water temperature approaches 80 degrees Fahrenheit.......... The smaller crappie will feed off the fry while the larger crappie will feed off of the adults........ The size of your crappie baits will mater in the summer......... For example if you want to catch crappie in the 1lb range you will need to use larger crappie live bait and larger crappie jig sizes......... If the fish are feeding on threadfin shad you will need to match the size and look of these forage fish if you want to be successful.......... A good way to create your imitation is to catch a few shad and use them to make your crappie baits......
    The juvenile largemouth bass consumes mostly small bait-fish, scuds, and insects...... Adults consume smaller fish, crawfish (crayfish), frogs, snakes, salamanders, bats and even small water birds, mammals, and baby alligators.........

Comment

I am not much of a bass fisherman, but the crappie are great there. I have had the best luck using live minows under a bobber or tube jigs. Ocasionally, I would use twister tail jigs. Fishing riprap has been the most successful for me, with some of the submerged timber a close second.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad