Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i herd about a 20+ pounder in a resevor that not many people no about that has tons of small to meddum size trout and small bull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i herd about a 20+ pounder in a resevor that not many people no about that has tons of small to meddum size trout and small bull

i herd about a 20+ pounder in a resevor that not many people no about that has tons of small to meddum size trout and small bull heads.but from what i'v herd he/she is very,very,very scitish and only go 's for local bait like the trout.how should i go for it.and i would like to know as soon as posible

20+ pounder what?

Comment

If it's a bass. I'd use one of those HUGH "swim baits" that looks like a trout.

Comment

large mouth bass

Comment

Swimbait that looks like whatever trout was stocked. Make sure you have strong line, and a stiff rod. You will get a good workout chucking that lure. Remember fish of that caliber, if it does really exist, got that big by staying deep in the summer. You wont be catching her in the shallows.

Since I know you wont disclose the lake, can we at least get a state that this "potential" world record resides in.

I am guessing Cali

Comment

Heres what i would do and it has worked for a 6 pound smallmouth before;If it is leagal in your state,bring a large pole set up for the big one,a smaller pole to catch smaller fish with small bait,use smaller fish you catch perch,brim,or whatever you can catch 8-10 inches,again as long as it is legal in your state,i do not think it is legal in most states to use trout for bait.Large bass will eat just about any large live bait you put in front of it.Finally cast your large bait into a deep section,or take it out in a conoe or small boat and drop it deep ,bring your pole back to shore and wait. Also use at least a 1 once slider weight,18inch leader,large 4/0 6/0 steel hook behind head under spine.A treaded grapple/tremble hook will work better,although releasing the fish will be harder..good fishing. dont give up it may take you 2-3 weeks to even hook up with this one!!

Comment

Michael has a good plan. I would use a 1-2 pound trout if it is legal. If not, use the biggest blue gill you can find. Cut the dorsal fin off the blue gill with a scissors so the bass won't spit it out before swallowing. I hook the bait in the back with a small 3x treble hook and drop another treble hook off a 4-6 inch stinger line attached to the first hook. Then I have an 11 foot pole with about a 6-8 ounce weight on it. I cast that line as far as I can; set the pole in a holder pointing straight up. This leaves a nice tight line from the top of the rod to the far away weight. I slide several lines with the trout or blue gills down that main line using it like a clothes line. I tighten each line so the bait is just puddling on the surface and making a surface disturbance. If this doesn't draw an attack, I drop the baits to the bottom or alternate them. You want to cover the water and the bottom to the top as you adjust the baits. If you don't hit that fish with this rig in a couple of outings, then it is just rumor and not a fish... by the way, a 20 pound bass might be a state record where you live so check the laws first and remember to take pictures and have it officially weighed. By the way, I use outrigger releases or yellow bird releases to hold the drop lines to the main line so when the fish hits, it will pop off the clotheline.

Comment

what we do to catch big browns is slide a slip sinker onto your line and attach a barrel swivel, then attach a 6-10 inch leader to the other end of the swivel and use a floating rapala in a trout pattern. then just jig it like you do with a jig. the weight sinks the lure but the lure will float off the bottom, imitating an injured fish. this works awesome for big fish in my area.

Comment

its in nevada

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad