Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know what a jiggerpole is and how to fish with it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know what a jiggerpole is and how to fish with it?

Does anyone know what a jiggerpole is and how to fish with it?

Del,

Down here we use a long fly rod fitted with an ultra light spinning reel or one of the under cast type spincasts. We use this set up to dibble small jigs around cover (boats docks, tree tops, etc.) for Crappie. The long rod gives reach, with a short section of line out you simply swim the jig in and around the cover. Instead of reeling in on the hook up you haul in the fish cane pole style.

Comment

I am not saying beekeeper is wrong by any means, but where Im from a jiggerpole is a long cane pole with a relatively short line attached. The common way is to jig with it or pull the lure along while tapping the surface of the water occasionally with the tip of the pole.

Comment

You're both right. Basically, a long pole used to run jigs or spinners up and down, in brush tops or lilly pads of a short distance (usually the lengh of the pole) across. we use the cane poles with tube jigs down here for Crappie and Bream

Comment

I use a long fly rod with an underspin reel to get under public boat docks for big blue gill. It is illegal to fish from the dock. Parks the boat ten feet away and start fishing.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

My dad taught me the art of jigger pole fishing and making the lures and how to apply this technique with the most supreme knowledge of what it takes to be able to catch hundreds of large bass, not just in a season, but in a single day.I've been sworn to keep this technique a secret by my family but they have passed on and I dont want this technique to be lost forever.The tapping of the pole on the surface is correct.But much more knowledge than this is needed.Best to have a pirogue or kayak and learn to work the pole with one hand while paddling in and out and around the banks and structures.Now the part where experience pays you the big bass is not stopping the action of the lure while you operate the pirogue and keep the pole just tapping the surface while zig zagging the lure back and forth slightly erratically but without ever letting the tip of the 16ft. telescopic crappie pole ever get below the surface while you are tapping.This sounds easy but will tire most arms in about 10 seconds so bad that all will give up,you will just have to devote yourself and keep practicing usually about 6 months and you will start catching alot of big bass and be able to work the pole endlessly. I suggest a 2 man pirogue or canoe and a person to paddle for you and use both hands.Lure for beginners can use a straight inline spinner type.Line micro super braid type 50lb.-100lb.doubled and then rap and tied up to the end of the pole(about 2 inches of rap and tie of 50lb. braid over the doubled 100lb. braid).This doubling will allow for a slip knot way to quickly change your lures.The doubled 100lb braid hanging from the end of the pole is 7inches to 7.5 inches in lenght. The lure is called a bob, you take 70lb to 100lb. nylon braid(not a micro braid)and string out a series of 3/0 then 2/0 then last for the bottom hook a 1/0 hook rap and tied with a 50lb. or so micro braid.You can use a snelling technique but make sure the eye of each following hook falls just at the curved section of the above hook. Burn off tailing ends of line. slide a skirt over this.Now make in line spinner. Best to make this your self with strong stainless steel wire with a good colorado or a french type spinner good stirrups that fit the wire and round beads.Now as we called it go jigger bob fishing!

Comment

My family has made Electric Jigger Poles. Check them out at www.smithdesignsfishing.com

It has a rheostat that controls the speed of the motor on the jigger pole. This alleviates the fatigue that normally comes from regular jigger pole fishing in your arms, shoulders, and wrists.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad