Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dum Bass Question: Why are large mouth bass always catch and release. Anybody ever eat one? Are they any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last one I cleaned was a 1/2 lb fish with a three pound rat stuck half way down his gizzard. I didn't eat it and may not eat another.

Comment

Originally posted by Pray- hunt-work View Post
      Last one I cleaned was a 1/2 lb fish with a three pound rat stuck half way down his gizzard. I didn't eat it and may not eat another.
      What?? You had a 1/2 lb fish with a 3 lb rat stuck in his gizzard? The rat was 6 times heavier than the fish? I assume there's a typo in there. Did you catch this thing, or find it dead? Why were you cleaning it? So many questions????

Comment

Originally posted by Pray- hunt-work View Post
        Lol, actually no typo. But certainly some exaggerated numbers to fluff up my story. A 2 lb bass with a mouse in his stomach isn't nearly as poetic though. Quit calling my bluff!

Comment

The last 2 largemouths I caught, I released them in some hot oil, but not before a quick dip in some beaten egg and lightly seasoned flour. They were wonderful, along with the big Bluegills we caught that day. We used to eat bass (large & small) all the time. I never stopped but my brother and dad did for a long while in favor of perch and walleyes. After frying up a mess for them (with big brother sneering), my father remarked: ''I had forgotten how good these were''. Brother was too busy eating to admit I was right. I do remove all skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
            In Fla most people of color take Bass home to eat,"Others" Take Bass for Photo Ops or Selfies.

There are so many other good tasting Fish here in Fla
            race is irrelevant you fool

Comment

Bass has musty taste. when given a choice most people pass on the bass.

Comment

Originally posted by Mel View Post
                As strange as it may sound he's not lying. I live off the Ocklawaha River and everyone I know eats them but for whatever reason anytime I'm fishing for bass anywhere else in this state I catch hell for keeping them except for the blacks. They know these things are good eatin'

Comment

As a former taxidermist, I had lots of opportunity to have bass meat from fish I was mounting. When I was sure they were fresh and well handled, I would have them smoked and they were fantastic. But I would not eat them fixed any other way !

Comment

I always thought they tasted like the water they came from.

Comment

I think the automatic catch-and-release is mainly part of the whole "bass fishing" image, i.e. the tournaments, having advertisements sewn onto your jacket, etc. I'd guess that regular joes keep a few now and again.

Comment

It all depends on your taste of fish. Some only target the fish they wanna eat so if bass isn’t on the list catch and release. There’s a lot of people out their who keep them and eat them but they have to be a certain size to keep them also. A lot of the tournaments are catch and release that’s probably why you hear it a lot.

Comment

My only largemouths come from the same waters I fish for crappie and perch, and I'm usually keeping a few of those if I want fish to eat. The bass are always easy to unhook, handle, and release unharmed, so back they go.

Comment

In pennsylvania they are not always catch and release. If prepared right they are excelent.

Comment

Originally posted by Mel View Post
                              Race is irrelevant but certain people are alot smarter when it comes to food which he stated in that comment whether he realized it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                                I had bass from Rice Lake, Ontario and it turned the butter muddy, just like the water it was swimming in.
                                There was a lot of guessing filezilla uc browser rufus going on around the table as to which was which. I was pretty sure the bass flesh was slightly darker and just very slightly stronger tasting, but it was all in doubt and I couldn't have told you for certain.
                                Last edited by ADYLATYSA; 10-09-2019, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Give them all they need ...
                                  by 99explorer
                                  Simple explanation of the emoluments clause.
                                  When a U.S. president receives payments from a foreign source, he has a conflict of interest, which...
                                  Today, 07:29 PM
                                • Give them all they need ...
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  I think President Trump is giving the MSM all the rope they need to hang themselves. When he thinks he has enough evidence to make his case I think he...
                                  10-19-2019, 08:47 PM
                                • Reply to Snapshot
                                  by FirstBubba
                                  Don't know that I've ever had enough cash to be overly concerned about a "money belt"! LOL!
                                  I've never carried over about $1500.
                                  Today, 07:27 PM
                                • Snapshot
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  What do you use for photography while hunting, traveling, around camp ? Digital or 35mm or other ?
                                  I am taking my old 35mm Ashi Pentax this year...
                                  Yesterday, 04:28 PM
                                • Reply to Snapshot
                                  by PigHunter
                                  "Not much blue tooth crap is durable enough for my lifestyle. Can't imagine what would happen if the canoe tipped over wearing that stuff. Your voice...
                                  Today, 07:22 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X