Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you had 1 fishing lure for life, what would it be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UnclePezz View Post
    I think it would be interesting to hear where each of you typically fish (where do you reside?) as I think your location could have a major influence on your choice...

~Cheers
    NJ. I catch bass up the wazoo with those things (GY rainbow trout). Being that this is hypothetical that is my choice. I am trying more and more lures, etc. as I don't like how those plastics end up in the lakes and fish stomachs. If I want bass for dinner, it is what I am using until I find something else that is as consistent. I fish mostly lakes, some streams and rivers, and bass are what I prefer to clean quickly and have a meal without having to clean 30 panfish. As long as I have the hook I can always put on live bait and catch panfish if it were a survival scenario.

Comment

I think it would be interesting to hear where each of you typically fish (where do you reside?) as I think your location could have a major influence on your choice...

~Cheers
      Grew up fishing Lake Erie and the tributaries (mostly eighteen mile creek south of Buffalo). I spent most every summer in Maine fishing the coastal waters Then I moved to Florida and spent most of my time fishing the many canals and small lakes as well as the gulf coast. I now live in TN and fish mostly small ponds and "lakes" around Memphis. I use the term lake lightly because compared to what I grew up with fishing on Erie all that TN has is oversized ponds.

I took my trusty rapala with me everywhere. If I were to recount all the species I have hooked on a 2 inch rapala it would be:
      Smallmouth bass, Largemouth bass, several species of sunfish, Bluegill, Crappie, Rock Bass, White Bass, Striped bass (ocean dwelling not landlocked), King Mackerel, Spanish Mackerel, Atlantic Mackerel.

I absolutely love using a rapala, and it is the first thing I tie on whenever I am fishing water I don't know. Fresh or salt water it doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by habben97 View Post
        A jighead and trailer.
        If only had one, it'd be a large package of black plastic worms. They are the go-to bait for Florida largemouth bass, and as I was using an old one that was only about half there, I found out it would catch bream as well. I've even caught salt water fish on it before.

Comment

Originally posted by OutdoorTeacher View Post
          2 inch floating rapala in sliver/black. I have caught bluegill, crappie, perch, largemouth, and smallmouth on that size.

Remember: Big hooks catch big fish, little hooks catch all the fish!
          Grew up fishing Lake Erie and the tributaries (mostly eighteen mile creek south of Buffalo). I spent most every summer in Maine fishing the coastal waters Then I moved to Florida and spent most of my time fishing the many canals and small lakes as well as the gulf coast. I now live in TN and fish mostly small ponds and "lakes" around Memphis. I use the term lake lightly because compared to what I grew up with fishing on Erie all that TN has is oversized ponds. I took my trusty rapala with me everywhere. If I were to recount all the species I have hooked on a 2 inch rapala it would be:
          Smallmouth bass, Largemouth bass, several species of sunfish, perch, Bluegill, Crappie, Rock Bass, White Bass, Striped bass (ocean dwelling not landlocked), King Mackerel, Spanish Mackerel, Atlantic Mackerel.

Comment

I think I have caught the most fish on a Kastmaster.

Comment

~Cheers
              SE Pa, and most of my fishing lately gets done on the Perkiomen Creek just below the Green Lane reservoir as my house is 70 yards off the bank.
              Lifetime most of my fishing has been the local creeks and lakes from here to the Poconos with a sprinkling of the Delaware River.
              Other than one offshore trip.. now that I think about it, I've never made a cast in another state that I can think of. Not once. Trout fishing has taken me most of the breadth of PA.

My pick of a 3" plus or minus white grub reflects the fact that it seems to be a great sounding lure. No matter what environment in those limits, moving or still, cold or warm, fish will go for that lure. I'd lean smaller on a trout stream, but I was going for all around utility.

Comment

Originally posted by LostLure View Post
                I think I have caught the most fish on a Kastmaster.
                Depends: one lure and that's it? or one style from a specific brand?
                I would go with a live target bluegill crankbait that ran 8' for the first question, and for the next, I would go with a 1/2 oz. jig from tournament series.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
                  by FirstBubba
                  The "illegitimate" select committee

Bennie Thompson, D - Mississippi, Chair.
                  Zoe Lofgren, - D California.
                  Adam Schiff,...
                  Today, 09:16 AM
                • Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
                  by FirstBubba
                  Number 1 - the committee was SUPPOSED to be composed of 8 (D)'s and 5 (R)'s.
                  Pelosi rejected three of the (R) members and filled the spots with...
                  06-11-2022, 08:51 AM
                • Reply to Just Right
                  by labrador12
                  I'd prefer a short barreled 12 ga for oomph! They are hard to carry concealed. I went 9mm because the ammo is the cheapest. As a former NYer I wanted...
                  Today, 09:03 AM
                • Just Right
                  by jhjimbo
                  Has anyone tried the new .31 cal, 30Super Carry. just what the name implies the quintessential between the .30 and the infamous 9mmLuger. Two years...
                  06-28-2022, 04:59 PM
                • Reply to Just Right
                  by FirstBubba
                  Your mention of the .380/9mm is what drew my attention.
                  I meant no offense to you or anyone else.
                  I just don't think the .380 or the 9mm aren't...
                  Today, 08:44 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X