Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What ever happened to the Bass-Oreno? It was my #1 GO TO lure for bass in the 1950s and '60s. Then it got left in the dust.. Any

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What ever happened to the Bass-Oreno? It was my #1 GO TO lure for bass in the 1950s and '60s. Then it got left in the dust.. Any

What ever happened to the Bass-Oreno? It was my #1 GO TO lure for bass in the 1950s and '60s. Then it got left in the dust.. Anyone here know what happened to it? Has anyone had any luck with it?

Sorry DakotaMan little before my time. Have you checked the "web" for any info on them?

Comment

Wow! Those are some old school lures. The eyes were innovative for the time. You could probably carve your own lures to mimic their catalog. I think they were using pine, but you could use balsa wood, just add some eyes. You can get them at a costume/variety store.The fish haven't seen them in a while, you might kill 'em.

Comment

Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0011974110218a.shtml

Comment

Well I was just going to say I have a L-J in red and white, and used to have a frog one. Great lure. It's kind of that iconic lure you always see in old fishing pictures.

Comment

man i used to love a bass oreno . some scummy pike stole my last one few years ago .

Comment

thats finny I just found 1 of these in red in white in 1 of my dads old tackle boxs

Comment

Thanks guys and special thanks to MLH for the link... I didn't know tht Luhr Jenson still made them. I think I will get some and give them a try. I'm glad to see that they haven't disappeared.

Comment

this is 9 years old but Ill take a chance.

The Oreno lures came in a range of sizes, from mini's suitable for fly rods, up to pike sized 4" and 5" models. I think there were 33 different finishes at one time, but the white-red head was always the most popular.

No one currently makes them that I know of, (2018), so you can only get them in the vintage and used market.

I've been looking for a source of blanks but have yet to find one.
                  South bend used to get them from a mill that was partnered with their business, and my research indicates they were red cedar, at least in the early decades. Eventually they were molded from plastic, and there were a lot of knock offs... all of which I've tried worked pretty much like the originals did.

Basswood or paulownia wood would be good choices if you want to make your own. The shaping and compound curves of the scooped head are a little tricky to reproduce exactly by hand, should you try carving them.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Voter Fraud
                    by bowhunter75richard
                    When uneducated people continue to vote for the man instead of the agenda of a party, we will continue to see the BS that is being reported to us after...
                    Today, 02:23 PM
                  • Voter Fraud
                    by bowhunter75richard
                    For those who claim voter fraud is not happening......Google The Heritage Foundation/election fraud cases ! All states are listed.......it just might...
                    11-06-2020, 08:01 PM
                  • Reply to Copper bullets
                    by Sarge01
                    Like I said before I didn't have very good results with Barnes Triple Shocks. This year I loaded 165 grain Hornady SST's in my 300WSM. I shot an 8...
                    Today, 02:20 PM
                  • Copper bullets
                    by Brad P
                    So I’m sure it’s been asked already, but I haven’t found the answer I was looking for. With the newer solid copper bullets that are being made theses...
                    11-05-2020, 11:48 AM
                  • Reply to Voter Fraud
                    by 99explorer
                    BHR -
                    I guess you didn't read my comment #222 just a few minutes ahead of yours.
                    It explains everything.
                    Today, 02:16 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X