Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I will be going fishing for pike this summer up in ontario. i plan on getting a pole that can cast far for long retrives for cra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I will be going fishing for pike this summer up in ontario. i plan on getting a pole that can cast far for long retrives for cra

I will be going fishing for pike this summer up in ontario. i plan on getting a pole that can cast far for long retrives for crankbaits and a pole i can cast far out in a big lake. so should i stick with open faces or get a Abu Garcia baitcasting reel?

You'll probably do OK depending on the reels you have now, but it's always a good idea to buy an Abu.

Comment

Getting a new reel is a big deal, bait casters are used for just what they say they are. A spinning reel is an all around good reel, a baitcasting reel although is more pricey than most others. Shop aroung for other brands also, if possible visit your local Bass Pro for a few test casts.

Comment

For monster pike fishing, get a light, durable, smooth casting, retrieving spinning reel. I used Shimano and it was awesome, look at my profile pics of the pike I caught (1 of at least 10-12 pike that were caught on that trip that ALL were well over 12 pounds!)
        If you're a high-roller, fish a Shimano Stella, with a G-Loomis Rod, Wow!

Comment

in most cases you will out cast a bait caster with a spinning reel, with equal line weight on both reels

Comment

You can't just buy a bait caster and take it on your trip. You will need to spend some real (no pun intended) time with that new rig to get used to it. It much different from you spinning rig.

Comment

If you are wanting to increase the length of cast, increasing your rod length will do more to effect that than changing from one reel type to another.

Check out the predator rods on the cabelas website. They are used by the European's for casting live bait long distances. I use this rod in combination with a spinning reel at tailraces of dams. I can cast a country mile with it.

Comment

Heres the link to the european predator rod (spinning)

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0006768112353a&type=product&cmCat=SEAR CH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=predator+rod&s ort=all&Go.y=0&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_ DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&Go.x=0&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

Comment

Well, if you have never used a bait caster, don't bring one to ontario. You need to get used t oit and practice ALOT! Its much harder than a spinning reel.

Comment

A spinning reel will work fine. Use very flexible casting monofilament like Trilene XL. I use 10 pound line with a braided wire leader for northerns and walleyes up that way. I have caught somewhere in the vacinity of a thousand northerns between 15 and 30 pounds on that rig. You want to be able to cast LONG and accurate with a big Daredevle. I have guided up there and actually have seen clients stand up in the boat and throw their bait casters in the lake out of frustration. Not saying you couldn't do it but that gentleman had just purchased a very expensive baitcast reel and all he got were backlashes while his buddy kept nailing trophy notherns one after the other. As Skeeb said, it takes a lot of practice and your fishing vacation isn't the place to practice with BIG fish swimming around you.

Comment

Spinning reels are all you need. Use the rig you like to use the most, and are good with. Remember, you'll be fishing 10-14 hrs per day, so bring extra rigs for breakdown situations and make sure your casting poles are light but with some backbone. (medium light is the heaviest you want for casting) Have a great trip.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How do you fly ?
                        by PigHunter
                        Like most everyone else, I buy a scope to feel a need. Only a few times have I taken advantage of a sale.

The Leupold VX3i on my .308 is...
                        Today, 06:44 PM
                      • How do you fly ?
                        by jhjimbo
                        Do you buy a scope when it is on deep discount, then look for the perfect rifle to put it on ? Or, you have the rifle and it needs glass, justkeep looking...
                        Today, 04:18 PM
                      • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                        by PigHunter
                        Bubba, I've been curious too. This is our first and so far I like it during dry fire. We're going to see how it is at the range in a few days....
                        Today, 06:35 PM
                      • Handgun Laser Sights
                        by PigHunter
                        On 7/19, Milldawg mentioned he'd ordered a laser sight for his wife's Ruger LCP 380 and they were on sale at MidwayUSA. Well, that inspired me to order...
                        08-03-2020, 11:20 AM
                      • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                        by PigHunter
                        Good question. The old style Ruger LC9 has a very long trigger pull that's similar to that of a double action only revolver. I think it would be unlikely...
                        Today, 06:32 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X