Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about Pflueger Reels: I recently purchased the Pflueger Supreme and am having all kinds of problems with line twist. I have tried switching lines (from floro to mono) but not much relief. Any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Pflueger Reels: I recently purchased the Pflueger Supreme and am having all kinds of problems with line twist. I have tried switching lines (from floro to mono) but not much relief. Any suggestions?

Question about Pflueger Reels: I recently purchased the Pflueger Supreme and am having all kinds of problems with line twist. I have tried switching lines (from floro to mono) but not much relief. Any suggestions?

If I was in a boat I would let out all the line with nothing on it while trolling along at a slow speed. That helps take out any twist in line. It also cleans the line and loads it back on the spool with constant tension.

Comment

You might try using smaller swivels, as they turn much easier than the larger ones.
      Just my two cents.

Comment

Jimbo's is a good tip for getting the twist out. Best thing I have found for keeping it out is to use two ball bearing swivels together one behind the other.

Comment

You have to note which way the line is coming off of the factory spool and which way you are rotating your bail. If you dont go in the same direction it will cause all kinds of hiccups.

Comment

Bullseye, I have had to explain this now for almost fifty years to people. Back in the 70's I went so far as to build a giant reel with a washing machine tub for a spool and green garden hose with a yellow stripe down then side to demonstrate line twist in spinning reels. By the way, at that time, I was working for a tackle company as a reel designer and that giant reel was used to educate their salesmen. So here goes the explanation: When you cast a spinning reel, the line "folds" off a stationary spool. Since the spool does not turn, one complete twist is put into the line for every complete wrap of the line removed off the spool. It you do not believe me, just take a piece of flat ribbon and wrap it onto the spool of your reel, then pull it back off just just as if it had been cast off. The ribbon will have exactly one twist in it for every complete wrap it had made around the spool, (note, the smaller the diameter the spool, the more wraps of line it takes to get the desired yardage of line, thus the more twists). Now when the bail wraps the line back on the spool, it also puts one complete twist into the line for every wrap put back on the spool, but in the opposite direction from the twist from casting. The end result is that the twist put into the line on casting is reversed on retrieve so all the twist is removed such that the line ends back on the spool without any twists. This system works perfectly as long as the spool never turns while the line is off the spool and no lures spin or swivels let the number of twists in the line from the cast get changed. But if the spool gets turned any at all while the line is off, the number of twists off and the number of twists back on get out of balance and the line ends up with permanent twists. This condition occurs when the drag on the reel slips. The spool rotates in order to let the drag clutch slip. Every complete rotation of the spool while the drag is slipping will result in one complete twist ending up in the line. Now if you keep on cranking the reel handle while the drag clutch is slipping, then you can multiply the number of twists added to the line by the gear ratio of the reel. So in summery, line twist is just a fact of life with spinning reels. Cranking the reel while the drag is slipping should be avoided if at all possible. Avoid the use of swivels as much as possible. When putting new line on the reel, always let the line just fold off the side of the new spool in the opposite direction which it will end up on the reel.

Comment

Bullseye, I was going to post my own question about the twisting I'm getting with my new Pflueger. I've used spinning reels for thirty-five years and know all the methods for preventing line-twist. Everyone's answers here are right on (not they need my approval), and these things and others are what I've always known and done with my spinning reels -- but this new Pflueger really is absolutely impossible. My model is the Trion. I've got six other spinning reels and seldom if ever have a problem with twist. Like I said, I do all the things that prevent line-twist. Sounds crazy, but I really think there is some subtle design flaw ...?

Comment

Great answer from Santa. The Pflueger doesn't do anything different from other reels in terms of line twist. The only thing I would add to Santa's comment is a caveat with regard to swivels. On occasion I've had to actually use swivels to prevent line from twisting due to spoons, live bait or dodgers that can spin while trolling if the speed isn't perfect.

The absolute most common reason for excessive line twist is novice anglers that continue to crank the reel while the fish pulls line off the drag. This is real common when landing bigger fish that cause a 20 minute fight. In 20 minutes, with a 4:1 gear ratio (four twists per revolution of the crank), such action can twist a line so severely that it may have to be untwisted with jhjimbo's technique before it can be used again.

Comment

I had line twist on a Pflueger President. I put line on it five times. 20 casts and it twists so bad it cannot be reeled in. Fishing side by side with other reels, bobber fishing, identical spooling, casting, reeling... Never a problem with all the other reels. I threw the thing in the lake.

Comment

It is the reel -- sorry i bought 3 pfluger supreme xt reels and they all have line twist problems -- my shimano and okuma reels have almost zero line twist problems --- pfluger supreme xt -- has consistent problems with line twist --i am slowly changing over to okuma rtx reel -- no problems and just as light and smooth

Comment

Beebee never owned that pfluger reel so cant really say if it’s the reel or not but sticking line on might be an issue. How are you putting on the line. First is make sure it’s tight. Even mono can tangle right of the spool you buy it on. Sometimes stretching it out can help. Second is definitely make sure you do not over fill it. Keep the line way below the rim of the spool. If the reel says it can hold 300yards then only do 200yards. What it sounds like is that reel wants to let to much line off at one time.

Comment

There is definitely something about Pflueger spinning reels. When you use spinning reels constantly, have for decades, know all the ways of preventing line twist, and then you just get the twist in the Pfluegers but none of the others you use all the time ......

Comment

I have pfluger reel don’t know which one but I never have a problem. Might be that one. Just a bad lemon.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to End of an era
                            by Milldawg
                            Dew man guy who owns the land a farm of his wants the spot so I’m out. All of this started since there is monster running around out there....
                            Today, 11:10 PM
                          • End of an era
                            by Milldawg
                            Well lost my hunting spot of 7 years last Saturday. So now I’m joining the lease crowd. Any advice this will be my first year leasing ground next year....
                            Today, 03:35 PM
                          • Reply to Season ends
                            by WA Mtnhunter
                            I’m 70, battling cancer, trying to stay in shape, and still working my dogs. Not going to quit until I can’t get on my feet. I’ve had a good run,...
                            Today, 10:39 PM
                          • Season ends
                            by Ontario Honker Hunter
                            On my way home ... finally. Headed to West Side (Montana) for Thanksgiving with my brothers but a very nasty blizzard delayed me till Saturday. After...
                            Today, 12:41 AM
                          • Reply to Virginia Gun Confiscation !
                            by Sarge01
                            If Virginia had followed through with their anti gun legislation you would have seen the start of the 2nd civil war in the US.
                            Today, 10:26 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X