Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can always get the fish to follow my bait but never strike any tips??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can always get the fish to follow my bait but never strike any tips??

I can always get the fish to follow my bait but never strike any tips??

Try a stop and go technique, or a figure 8 at the boat.
    Hope this helps.

Comment

depends what your fishing, if it's bass I'd say if there far enough out speed your retrieve with a jerk or something if not try a stop and twitch technique then reel in about the same speed and repeat.

Comment

Like muskiemaster said, depends what your fishing for. In addition to what has all ready been suggested, if they are following your lure, would suggest fishing it even faster if possible, try to induce a reaction strike, or swith to a soft plastic and fish slower.

Comment

Like Big O when bass aren't biting and just following baits, I like to stop whatever lure/worm I'm using as the fish is following and just jerk it along. When I do this, the bass grab it the first chance they get because your teasing them instead of just trying to imitate a wounded bait fish.

Comment

From you question, I am thinking you are fishing for bass with a top water lure. I see a lot of this when fishing the farm ponds in my area. I find that stopping the retrieve and letting the bass think about it for a few seconds works. Then one more twitch usually finishes the job. I have had bass totally turn up their nose and turn away during the waiting game though.

Comment

Basically what BiG O said... stop and tease the fish and that should make them want to bite.

Comment

I would try to put a different action on it, like twitching or jerking. Also, try different retrieve speeds. Try a different color of the same lure, or another lure altogether.

Comment

Stop that lure dead and let it practically hit the bottom, twitching it a couple times. That should entice a finicky bass to slam your lure.

Comment

slow it down or speed it up or try the figure eight when you get it up to the boat.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad