Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im good at bass fishing in small ponds and streams where I can easily locate cover but I struggle in large lakes where everythin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im good at bass fishing in small ponds and streams where I can easily locate cover but I struggle in large lakes where everythin

Im good at bass fishing in small ponds and streams where I can easily locate cover but I struggle in large lakes where everything looks the same. What do you do the first time you fish a big lake that you don't know very well?

Get a map of the lake that shows bottom structure.
    Hope this helps, good luck and good fishing.

Comment

Boat docks, riprap areas, fallen tree tops, points, bridges all provide cover for fish. Try these on a new Lake as you learn to fish it.

Comment

After trying everything above,fish off the points at different depths.
        If you are fishing from shore,be sure to keep a low profile.
        Good Luck!

Comment

The areas beekeeper suggested are correct, also try to use a bait you can fish rather quickly so you can cover a lot of water to determine where the fish are. Once they are located you can come back through that area with a soft plastic and catch a lot more then.

Comment

All of the above are correct. The only thing I can add is check in with the boat dock. In 5 minutes those guys can tell you where, when, and what they're biting on. Other than that I go out and look at the shore line, fish around docks tree tops, weed beds etc. I try to visualize what it will look like 15-20 feet out. Other than that you can buy a map as Big O says if you plan on fishing that place a lot. Another thing that helps is developing a click or group that fishes every weekend, we pass info back and forth all the time. I know guys this time of year that take their boats to work and don't make it home till after dark. (Wives very moody this time of year)

Comment

Docks, bridges, hydrila/lily pads depending on where you live, and points...Good luck!

Comment

shade under brush and trees, or docks, works like a charm

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Another New Upper
                  by jhjimbo
                  What kind of powder was your friend using and didn't he ever clean it ?...
                  Today, 01:16 PM
                • Another New Upper
                  by DakotaMan
                  Milldawg inspired me so I finished my new 6mm AR upper as a Covid time killer project. I had made a 6mm Creedmoor with an 8 twist Bartlein barrel for...
                  Today, 12:54 PM
                • Reply to Another New Upper
                  by FirstBubba
                  Smooth lookin' AR D'Man!
                  Let us know how it shoots. 😃!
                  Today, 01:12 PM
                • Reply to 16 Years
                  by jhjimbo
                  I have the mad canadian blocked, all I know is he should get an apt. with a Psychiatrist.
                  He should get a life, shooting geese and pheasant do not...
                  Today, 01:11 PM
                • 16 Years
                  by jhjimbo
                  So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                  Yesterday, 09:20 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X