Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have started a new pond. I have alot of old christmass trees. I was wondering if I need to take the needles off of the tree fo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have started a new pond. I have alot of old christmass trees. I was wondering if I need to take the needles off of the tree fo

I have started a new pond. I have alot of old christmass trees. I was wondering if I need to take the needles off of the tree for the fish to make habitat?

I do the same thing every year. No you do not have to because they will die and fall off in a matter of weeks anyway. Panfish love this for structure.

Comment

No, I wouldn't cut the needles off. I would cut out holes in the branches for the bait fish to hide in.

Comment

Don't take the needles off and as rabbit says, cut a few holes in the branches for the fish to hide in.

Comment

The other guys are right don't cut off needles, but you may have to figure out a way to way down the trees if you have a lot you can figure out ways to put them at different depths. We used old chains when we did ours but you can find anything heavy that won't mess up the habitat.

Comment

Leave them, they become organic matter that can help the overall health of the pond.

Comment

No don't take off the needles. Renew your brush piles each year. Great practice!

Comment

I wouldn't take the needles off. the fish shelters (pine trees) in our lake our in pine boxs with slats in them to let small fish in and out and keep big ones out.

Comment

No, I would leave them on too. Makes great cover. Glad to see you have an interest in improving the habitat. Good to see.

Comment

no, just drag them into the middle if it is iced over then just wait until the pond unfreezes

Comment

no don't cut off the needles the will fall off eventually and small bait fish can use them for cover from larger fish. You can cut holes in the trees but they will use it either way.

Comment

Leave them on.

Comment

Leave them on.

Comment

Leave the needles on and dont even bother. They will end up falling off and degrading by themselves. Just make sure to mark the spot where you put them so you will be able to fish there... they make good fish habitat.

Comment

You do not have to take the needles off. In time, they will fall off on their own. Evergreen trees make excellent habit for the fish that dwell there.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to When will the COVID-19 pandemic end?
                                by rock rat
                                The pandemic will end when active cases drop to a low enough point that there is no longer community spread. Virus won't be gone, but the pandemic will...
                                Today, 07:23 AM
                              • When will the COVID-19 pandemic end?
                                by FirstBubba
                                November 4, 2020
                                08-13-2020, 11:25 PM
                              • Reply to Crickets !!
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                Rock, I agree with some of your points, however I read nothing in your words that gave a sound approach to ‘getting’ our diverse population on the...
                                Today, 07:01 AM
                              • Crickets !!
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                Some time ago, I asked our liberal/progressive ‘friends’ on the site to give just one item on the D’s agenda that would benefit the American people...
                                08-13-2020, 05:27 PM
                              • Reply to Crickets !!
                                by Pmacc60
                                To compare the society’s of China , Singapore and Taiwan to the US is pointless! Completely different cultures, it is darn near impossible to have a...
                                Today, 06:14 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X