Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often should you re-spool your fishing pool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often should you re-spool your fishing pool?

How often should you re-spool your fishing pool?

it all depends of how aten you go fishing i pearsonaly shange mine every 10 to 15 trips

Comment

I fish only fresh water, and usually only twice a season.

Comment

At the VERY LEAST before you start a "new" season, but I like Ralph' idea of twice a year.

Comment

I usually respool about once a month but thats because I do a lot of light line fishing for big fish

Comment

before it starts to fade and become crimped. Test you line every once in a while to make sure it is sound. Cut about 18 inches off every time you catch a fish, that is what I do anyway. Just one man's opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.

Comment

I have lots or rods and reels and use them at differing levels. Those that get hundreds of hours of action each season get replaced a lot more often than those used every three years or so. I usually re-spool all but the 60-120 pound offshore lines about every year or two depending on what the line is doing (I have 5 year old line on some of them as long as the line is good). I replace light casting lines as soon as I notice any loss of line flexibility (the line starts to retain spool loops rather than straightening out nice and smooth). I don't worry about this issue for trolling lines since they don't have to cast. I test ALL knots for strength and I replace the casting or trolling line as soon as I notice any brittle line that causes a knot to break. I NEVER fish with a weak knot no matter what. When head count matters, I test the last 10 feet of my line by running a nylon stocking over it to detect cracks and nicks every time I catch a fish; otherwise I do this before I put away the rod at home). I cut off any deffective line immediately as soon as I detect a ding. I guess I am either cheap or very conservative but I only replace line as necessary. I know that line manufacturers and their sports writers advocate more purchases but I have found it is just fine to do it only as necessary. I have caught thousands of fish from bream to marlin for the last 55 years and can not recall losing one to a broken line (except one 450 pound blue marlin that flipped backwards and cut twin 1000 pound leaders with his bill); nor do I ever allow line problems to hamper my fishing. I highly recommend watching your knots and line religiously. If you do, you will know when it is time to replace it.

Comment

Agreed with DakotaMan and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad