Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have never bothered keeping small mouth bass, which is strange as I usually keep what I catch as long as it is big enough to m

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have never bothered keeping small mouth bass, which is strange as I usually keep what I catch as long as it is big enough to m

I have never bothered keeping small mouth bass, which is strange as I usually keep what I catch as long as it is big enough to make it worthwhile. I am wondering, am I missing out? Are small mouth good table fare? How do they compare to delicious freshwater fish such as crappie and walleye? Do they taste like largemouth? (If they taste like largemouth please let me know. Eating largemouth was a mistake I will only make once. They are one of the few fish I always release.)

Yes its just about like largemouth. I'll eat either if its hooked in a way i think it will die anyhow. I let my fish nuggets sit in a mixture of buttermilk, spicy mustard, and creole seasoning before dredging them in some seasoned cornmeal and frying them. But I am pretty sure you could make a horse turd edible by the same method.

Comment

Smallmouth out of our streams in this area are very good eating. Skin, fillet, and fry.... I usually toss them back though, as I enjoy catching them more than eating them.

Comment

Smallmouth are not as good tasting as crappie or walleye no way but they are much better eating than largemouth.

Comment

They're pretty good, just about any fresh fish is. If I were you I would try largemouth again, but from another place. They can be pretty good, but depending on their diet and their home waters, they can taste like mud.

Comment

Agreed with vtbluegrass and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

idk about smallmouth but you must have did something wrong with the largemouth because ive never had one i didnt like

Comment

and i went to minnisota acouple months ago and i tryed walleye when i was there (we dont have them in alabama) and it didnt impress me

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad